Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I have a cicada jitterbug lure that I bought a Dick's several years ago. I don't know if they still have them or not. Or you could just wait until they are out in a few months like twoglasseyes suggested.

·
Registered
702 Posts
twoglasseyes said:
Give it a few weeks. You will have plenty of live ones.
any insight on rigging live ones? just hook em up like a crawler or roach and toss away? I wasn't fishing last time around but seems like this could be a good op to jump on the nature bandwagon to bag some topwater bites.

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
You should be able to find the cicada topwater at Dicks, Gander, BPS, ect. My wife picked one up at one of these places last year. I would think any topwater popper around the same size as a cicada will be good though.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just for shits and giggles. Let's say a couple of cicada drop in my lap, and they will, for those of you who remember 1990. You would probably want to keep them alive. Any ideas on what hook size? Should I hook them through the head, abdomen, thorax? Tips, suggestions, ideas? HELP :!:

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
They sort of have a hard body, so hooking them will be interesting. I am going to use a smaller bait holder hook, with hopes of keeping them alive as long as possible. I want them to buzz and struggle on the surface.

·
Registered
594 Posts
A buddy of mine fishes them in the summer...

1-Hook them behind the collar and let them flop around on the surface.

2-Hold onto the rod.....

3-Take picture & release big bass....

:D

·
Registered
401 Posts
ya this should make for an outstanding topwater bite. I'm gonna have to try and get ahold of some live ones :D I figure you can probably just go walk around parks n such pickin em off trees or the ground or whatever.

·
Registered
959 Posts

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I had heard that they were supposed to hatch this week. Supposedly they hatch when the soil hits a certain temperature somewhere in the 60's. So it might be sooner even with yesterday's warm temps.

·
Registered
959 Posts
It will be soon. They originally targeted the 22nd as the day. I also heard that heavy rains could bring them out faster as it would soften the soil......so if we actually get the heavy rain they are calling for today it could bring them out a little sooner.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I thought I read from an Illinois DNR info memo that the date was estimated at the 18 or 19th.

Wednesday its supposed to cool off, but it will warm back up by the weekend.

BUZZZZZZ...........BUZZZZZZ...........
BUZZZZZZ...........BUZZZZZZ...........BUZZZZZZ.....
....BUZZZZZZ...........BUZZZZZZ...........BUZZZZZZ.....
......BUZZZZZZ...........BUZZZZZZ.....
.BUZZZZZZ...........BUZZZZZZ...........BUZZZZZZ...........

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.