Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out earlier this week and never got around to throwin up a post.

Been hitting a spot on the nice days after work. As is usually the case wind direction has been pointing to where the fish are :) I've been seeing them for about a month now but just started catching the bass in last 2 weeks. The one's you can see rarely are the one's that are biting. I've come up with a presupposition that they make a little "feeding" run, they cruise an area when they want to eat and then go back to this spot to hang out when they're done only because it is the warmest place around for them and to tease the stupid guy dancing jigs in front of them.

I've used various rattling cranks, my favorite tail-spinners, drop-shotted various plastics and thrown some homemade jigs. The salmon like the moving baits :wink:, on the new moon I actually caught a few bass moving the bait too but that was only day yet this year I got one when the bait wasn't sitting in one place. No smallies yet this year, only largemouth so far. I saw an older gent catch a Monster brown trout on a crankbait last week as well, this thing was every bit of 15lbs but it looked pale and sick? I don't fish for them so not certain what they're supposed to look like but it wasn't brown at all and didn't look like pictures I have seen of them.

Also wondering if that VHS crap has made it this way yet. I would say at least half the fish I have seen so far this year have some crazy looking fungus shit growing on their exterior. The fungi itself is white-colored and usually growing on the fishes face or fins. I wonder if I catch a 6lb smallie with a 1lb tumor if that will count for the record :?:

· Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

3/31/09 8th bass of year but 1st one of real nice size. 1st day of warm front moving though after 3 day cold front. South winds 10-15mph, gusts up to 30. 3 fish total all caught from windblown shore during rain on 1/16th matzou sickle hook silver/red/black jig with 2 inch lindy triple ripple grub firesmoke color with 3mm glass rattle inserted in grub. Bite stopped 10 minutes after rain stopped. Water clarity 6-8 inches in sheltered area 1-3 inches elsewhere. Had a coho come up and bang it too but short striked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.