Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post, so please bare with me as I learn the protocols. I spent some time on Saturday reading through other's posts and decided to hit up Skokie Lagoons on Sunday. This happens to be my first time freshwater fishing in Illinois. I moved out here from LA 2 years ago, where I was an avid saltwater angler, but never was much of a freshwater angler. I only get to fish the Pacific twice a year now, so I needed to find an alternative way to get my fishing kicks.

Enough of me. I wanted to give my first report from Sunday:

Started at 11AM or so at Lagoon 6 after stopping at Ed Shirley's for some nightcrawlers and tackle. Fished crankbait, spinner bait and even Senkos for awhile. Had another setup for the crawlers, but no luck. I fished Lagoons 4 and 5 (I think), but no luck there either. Eventually, I ended up at the Tower Dam. Saw one person catch a small crappie on a bamboo pole and the guy next to me landed a 10" smallmouth on a crawler using a bobber. I fished to 4:30PM and had to call it quits.

I realize I probably went during the worst time of the day, but I was just glad to be out there casting a line. I also read in another thread that the senkos can also be effective without any weight. I used a split shot, but will try without it the next time out. I noticed that the water level was very high - boat ramp was completely covered. No weed yet, but a lot of debris.

I work nearby, so I'm thinking of hitting up the Lagoon early in the morning before work. Good luck to all. Can't belive Spring is finally here!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Welcome to the site and thanks for the report!

I am planning on spending a lot of time this summer fishing the lagoons. I am looking forward to your future reports: good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
welcome aboard fishtoughts! i'm from orange county myself. been here in chicago for 13 years. i was the same as yourself. fished the pacific most of my younger years and when i moved out here i started freshwater fishing. quickly found out how technical freshwater fishing really is.

btw, senkos work much better and cast farther without weight. they cast like missiles. the magic is in the horizontal fall. so cast to your spot and let the senko fall with slack line. most strikes will happen on the fall so watch your line for a strike.

look forward to your next report.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Welcome Fishthoughts! It took me 3 yrs to get back into freshwater fishing after I moved back from Florida, cuz I liked fishing Saltwater so much. Freshwater is definitely different but still satisfying. Looking forward to seeing more of your reports.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Water level is way up at the lagoons. Alot of good spots are not possible to reach because of the high water. The north end is especially bad. The crappies should be up in the fallen trees if the warm weather holds. The water is very dirty and still quite cold.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Islandfisher, Augy, twoglasseyes, and MrB,

Thanks for warm welcome! I'll be sure to diligently post my fishing reports.

Also, I used to fish Mammoth Lakes, CA every summer for trout. Love fishing the 4lb test with powerbait or salmon eggs. If you guys are going out on opening day, I'd love to meet up with you guys - that's only if this isn't an imposition.

Fish-on!

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, Augy. Reminds me of opening day at Irvine Lake - staking a place at 4:30AM that is. Can't wait.

If it's not raining tomorrow AM, I'm going to hit Skokie Lagoon on the way to work.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Welcoem to the site !

Variables such as high and low tide do occur in freshwater but aren't as big an effect as salt water fishing. You'll adapt and learn quick especially since you came to the right site !

Nice Reports !! keep them coming

If you are an avid salt water fisherman, this isn't that much of a big deal. Go out and fish !!

Good Luck ! Tight Lines !

Where all here at WCF 24 hours 7 days a week..lol its an addiction .

George

:D

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
Welcome Fishthoughts. Great to have you on the site!

You'll get acclimated to freshwater fishing in no time. We can't promise you'll get on any marlin or tarpon, but as you can see from these boards, there are LOTS of great fishing opportunities throughout the entire Chicago area.

And even though fishing for big fish in the ocean is a ton of fun, the ambiance of fishing is part of it too. Getting up on a Saturday morning in the summer at 3:30am and getting the gear together and arriving at Deep Lake just as the sun is coming up and getting the boat out on this pristine lake surrounded by lily pads, cat tails, etc., is just like fishing shows, dude!

Stick with us here at WCF... we'll get you on some great fishing!

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Welcome to WCF! I got back into fishing myself about 3 or 4 years ago. There are a lot of great places to fish around Chicagoland. You can find out a lot of good information on sites like this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.