Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I went up to independence today for my first time. I rented a boat with a trolling motor but it couldn't fight the wind so I got blown right onto the shore :? I had to abandon ship and walk half around the lake back to the marina. They didn't offer a working boat so by the time I headed out to hit the shoreline I was pretty pissed.
So I went to the left from the guard shack entrance and parked. I couldn't fish crankbaits because they got fouled in the weeds so I tried a black/blue flake wacky senko. 2nd cast I hooked a nice bass 16 inches or so, my biggest of the year. A few weed snags later I tried texas rigged weightless and hooked and lost a couple, then landed another nice bass. Eventually I went back to a wacky rig and got another on the drop. This bass put up a crazy fight, jumping, and burying itself in weeds 8)
The bite stopped for me but I fished another hour and witnessed a guy catch a fat bass which he estimated 5 pounds. So I will be back for sure, but I don't think I'm gonna try boat rental again.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thanks for the report. I never really saw in need in renting a boat there. I do just fine fishing along the shorelines...most of the time I catch more fish than the guys in the boats.

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
First of all, welcome to the site svslider!

Sounds like you adjusted well to get on some fish at IG. The wacky rig is quickly becoming one of my favorite ways to fish.

I think that i've now got to get to IG for some fishing. Been there several time but not in a while. It's a great place and holds some REAL nice fish.

Thanks for the report!

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Welcome to the site svslider. IG does hold some nice fish. I have fished there from boat and shore and like Phil already said, the shore fishing can be just as good and sometimes better. Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcomes, I went back today. At the gate I handed my 5 bucks right over, then she told me its 10 today because of the holiday. I went digging into my wallet and she gave me the 5 back and told me to go ahead :)
I was surprised how sunny it was, I was sweating like crazy. I had alot of bites on my senkos but I dont even know if those were bass or fat bluegills because I didnt hook into anything off them. I saw the rangers write a ticket to a mountain biker, I think for speeding. The lake was crazy with boaters and they were ignorant of fisherman. I had 10 canoes and paddleboats go right where I was fishing within minutes :roll: At least there was some shade so I opened a beer and watched a guy battle a weed screaming about big fish in some foregn language for like 3 minutes.

Eventually I headed toward my car to get another beer. I threw a senko just south of the southeast fishing pier and finally landed a 15 inch bass. Then I jumped into my car and moved to the NE parking lot and hit the NE bay with sunken trees and stuff. I landed another 15 incher and the park was announcing closing even though I thought it was early. I tried a little longer and saw a guy on the opposite side catch a small bass- thats the only fish I saw anyone else catch all day even though it was full for the holiday.
Ill be back once it gets cloudy or something.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.