Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got kicked off for good from one of my favorite ponds near home a few weeks ago. Bummer as I've been fishing it for about 5 years now. The neighbors would call the cops on me several times a year. I'd look up and see this

and talk the officer, but there was nothing they could do but wish me luck and leave. This last time it was the homeowners association that called and complained, so yet another favorite nearby pond is scratched off my list.

While hunting for some more close to home ponds, I stumbled onto one that has gills, perch, bass and crappies. (like most ponds around here) With the warmup, I squeezed a couple of hours of fishing in this morning.

The gill bite was almost completely dead and only managed a couple of little guys like this.

With some hole hopping, I got into some decent perch.

I caught everything on a yellow/orange Genz Bug with spikes

I caught 10 perch total. 8 decent, 2 dinks and 5 from one hole.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
nice pond perch!! bummer you got booted from the other one..

i have a friend who lives off a private pond that supposedly has "a crappie" problem that i've been itching to check out. he welcomed me to his pond to take some home and cook up 8)

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Nice Perch Ron!!! That's the way to do it man! 8)

Sorry to hear about the one pond you no longer can fish. Looks like you found another one though!

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Sucks that you lost a pond but looks like you overcame that quickly. You must live in a special area cuz I can't think of one pond around that holds perch...and nice perch at that. Nice haul!

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JB said:
Sucks that you lost a pond but looks like you overcame that quickly. You must live in a special area cuz I can't think of one pond around that holds perch...and nice perch at that. Nice haul!
You'd be surprised on how many lakes and ponds hold perch! Not always in large numbers. I'm kind of a perch magnet and seem to pull them out everywhere I go. I've caught them in the larger lakes like Bangs, Pistakee, Diamond and Zurich and find them in quite a few ponds.

Even got this surprise one day in the tiny, steel-walled retention pond I am now banned from.

I never thought it held perch.

I've had killer days on the Fox River

Gotta love that green ice!

Then of course the Lake Michigan fatties from shore

And by kayak

The goofy things are everywhere!

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rollcast said:
poich magnet Ron
Wow.

Dang perch (and reporters) following me everywhere I go...

Once I had Anita Padilla of NBC 5 film and interview me at Navy Pier. I caught her attention a few years back as the only nut perch fishing out in the cold on the the coldest day of that winter. :mrgreen:

Then, there's my unlucky tip-up that almost never ever pops a flag. The only thing I've ever caught with it are perch. This one at Bangs Lake.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Now I just remembered the headless ghost perch I caught in the UP. Since it had no mouth, it grabbed my jig and crawler with it's exposed stomach. Seriously! Look where it's hooked! I can't get away from these things. :shock:

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
catch88 said:
man that ghost perch is CRAZY!
The embarrassing thing would have been watching me fight that fish. It was in a river with a strong current and I thought I was retrieving a real live fish. What a weird deal.

I catch a lot of pike there and at first thought that's who decapitated the perch. But I was fishing about 1/4 mile downstream of a hydro plant and now figure more likely the fish got sucked out of the reservoir and got whacked going through a turbine. :shock:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.