Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone who runs an old outboard runs less than the recomended amount of oil in the mix. I have a 56 seaking johnson 5hp and have been running about half the recomended mix. It runs great, doesnt drip oil out the exhaust port when its sitting in the garage, and hardly smokes at all now. It used to use the right mix (1/3rd pint pre gallon.) I was figuring that the new oils are so much better, so I could use less. Any thoughts?
Also, has anyone expirimented with using 93 octane for the mix? More power, or burnt up rings? Im afriad to try it.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I would be hesitant to use less oil than recommended, since that is what lubricates a 2 cycle engine. As far as using high octane gas, I think that may be a great idea. But at $3.20/gallon, that is up to you.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought it was running too rich on the oil, because of the oil slick it was leaving when i shut it off. Then I noticed the oil was condesing on the walls of the exhaust outlet. The polution was my main concern. I thoroughly degreased the motor from every angle last weekend, so we'll see how it does this week.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
more oil never hurts but less eventually will

I run mine at 30:1 even more than is recommended for those 50`s johnsons

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Remember the movie Dancing with Wolves where they give that name to Kevin Costner because of his love for wolves?

Rudy's name should be "Talks to Engines". Seriously if I ever have a problem with my car or any type of engine rudy has fixed it right away after immediately diagnosing the problem.

Do what you think is right man! (and make sure it's running for Saturday!)

·
Registered
431 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the 93 octane gas. I always use the 93 for all of my smaller motors, (lawnmower, snowblower, trimmer, edger, etc.). They always seem to start easier, and run better with the 93.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Your combining the worst of both with 93 and not enough oil. :shock:

93 is a wast of money for an outboard. 93 is for high compression motors(sport cars)it burns slower but at a 'much' 'much' higher compression ratio.

87 is fine for an old motor.(it's much beter that the gas in the 50's and 60's...the oil is better also but use the correct amount)

The best way to test the mixture is take the spark plug out.

If it's white/grey your starving your motor of oil and it will run WAY to hot leading to all kinds of problems with the head/cylinders.

If it's black and dripping then it's to much oil and the plug will foul out.. :cry:

it should be a nice brown color. This indicates that the engins is burning the correct mixture and at the correct temp

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Mike, thats just the type of test i was looking for. Ive never run 93, and dont think im gonna try it. Do you ever use the ams oil or any other high end oil? I just dont like the blue cloud following me. I know a guy that uses some ams oil on the motor on his sailboat, but he has ruined two motors in the last four years, so i dont relly trust his oppinions. Another guy that i dont really think knows much says to use a universal air cooled 2 cycle oil. He says its one mix ratio for everything. That sounds crazy to me. I think im gonna stick with the johnson/evinrude stuff. Any oppinions?

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
twoglasseyes said:
Thanks Mike, thats just the type of test i was looking for. Ive never run 93, and dont think im gonna try it. Do you ever use the ams oil or any other high end oil? I just dont like the blue cloud following me. I know a guy that uses some ams oil on the motor on his sailboat, but he has ruined two motors in the last four years, so i dont relly trust his oppinions. Another guy that i dont really think knows much says to use a universal air cooled 2 cycle oil. He says its one mix ratio for everything. That sounds crazy to me. I think im gonna stick with the johnson/evinrude stuff. Any oppinions?
All I use is the Johnson/Evinrude. A little pricey, but never had any problems or excessive smoke.

·
Registered
702 Posts
BassCaster said:
Your combining the worst of both with 93 and not enough oil. :shock:

93 is a wast of money for an outboard. 93 is for high compression motors(sport cars)it burns slower but at a 'much' 'much' higher compression ratio.

87 is fine for an old motor.(it's much beter that the gas in the 50's and 60's...the oil is better also but use the correct amount)

The best way to test the mixture is take the spark plug out.

If it's white/grey your starving your motor of oil and it will run WAY to hot leading to all kinds of problems with the head/cylinders.

If it's black and dripping then it's to much oil and the plug will foul out.. :cry:

it should be a nice brown color. This indicates that the engins is burning the correct mixture and at the correct temp
ya think 93 is good for four stroke outboards?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
no..... 93 is for higher compression motors. This issue has been beaten to death on the motorcycle boards I visit. The main issue is always reduced to the compression ratio and how much slower the 93 burns at the ratio.
(you think it would be faster)

If you don't have higher compression then it will burn even slower and the piston is to far down the power stroke by the time the fule is 100% burned to realize the power you "think" the 93 will give you. So you just paying more for no added gain in power :shock: ...save the money and buy a pack of senko's :wink:

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I use AMS motor oil in my bikes. (good stuff)I just use regular 2 stroke oil in the outboard.

I like to use just a tad over the recomended amount. A little "more" oil is always beter than a bit to less :lol:

·
Registered
594 Posts
BassCaster said:
no..... 93 is for higher compression motors. This issue has been beaten to death on the motorcycle boards I visit. The main issue is always reduced to the compression ratio and how much slower the 93 burns at the ratio.
(you think it would be faster)

If you don't have higher compression then it will burn even slower and the piston is to far down the power stroke by the time the fule is 100% burned to realize the power you "think" the 93 will give you. So you just paying more for no added gain in power :shock: ...save the money and buy a pack of senko's :wink:
I always use the lower grade gasoline, just because I wasn't sure.
My fear was running to high and causing problems.
My truck doesn't need it, why should my little outboard.

Good points, now at least I have a reason to be cheap!

Do you want the $3 or $20 dozen-nightcrawlers??

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
About higher compression cars 93 really does make some difference imo. In a chevy 355 with 11:1 you can tell the difference. In fact you down right need it. And in the nissan 6cyl I use it when im carrying a heavy load and using the a/c at the same time. It really does give it a little extra bump. Little more knock resistance.
Thanks for all the good stuff on the outboard.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.