Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, to say I haven't posted in awhile would be a gross understatement, but with just enough time to work, eat, sleep, & fish... you get the picture. Still been visiting the site daily, just not posting. Anyways, been spending most of my time fishing a combination of bodies of water. Lake Glenview has still been producing, just not as crazy as before; a few decent bass & 'eyes here & there. Local retention ponds have been giving up a decent topwater bass bite. Actually started fishing the DP river again (before our crazy storms) for the first time since late Winter/early Spring with good success on Pike between 20-30 inches. Been averaging 1-2 fish per 60-90 minute outing, not bad for DP river standards. Got random pics for these outings at home (at work right now), so I'll have to post 'em later.
My 2 primary fishing trips this year were in late June to the Canadian Boundary waters on a canoe trip with my mom as her 50th birthday present. Weather was awesome, scenery was beautiful, fishing was great, and we didn't see another person until the last day of the trip. Caught well over 100 smallies, dozens of pike including a few around 36", but walleye were actually harder to come by. Highlight was hooking into a 5'-6' sturgeon on a crankbait of all things and fighting him for a good 10 minutes on 8 lb test in HEAVY current until he decided enough was enough and broke my line. The next cast gave me a 14" walleye that a 40" pike decided should be lunch until I tried grabbing both of 'em and he disappeared. Tied on a big x-rap and Mr. Pike hit it at 100 mph going the opposite direction as my bait and snapped my line before I could blink or loosen my drag. Got most of that trip's pics at home also, but got a few saved on my email here at work.
My other big trip was this past week (Aug 18-25) in Lac du Flambeau, Wisconsin on an 800 acre lake I've been fishing since I was in diapers. Weather was cold, cool, wet, & windy most of the week. Walleye were slow, smallies were good, pike were decent, and musky were moving! Only put a few in the boat, but knowing this was my only musky trip this year I put in my hours and raised a ton of fish as a result. Had we landed even half the fish we raised/missed, we'd have had a half dozen around or over 40" for the week. Two big fish of the week for me was a 21-22" smallie that went around 4-5 lbs on a jig & leech while walleye fishing, and a 44" musky that hit my Awaker (topwater) 5 feet from the boat and gave me a good shower in the dark of night, which was a good thing considering I almost shit in my pants... nothing like topwater musky action! Again, only got a few pics on my e-mail here at work, so enjoy. I'll try and not be a stranger so much as Fall draws closer. Sorry for the long report. As always, good fishing

Alex

QUETICO PICS

Lac du Flambeau, WI

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Awesome post Alex, nice to see that your still around!

Did that pike give you a nasty bite or what? Good thing you found your glove so you could hold up that nice musky without getting injured 8). I keep a nice pike glove in my box at all times just in case.

What kind of lure did you use to catch those DPR pike?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.