Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a decrease on the power of my trolling motor. I have an 80lb thrust Min Kotta, and it does not seem to give the power it should. It is wired for 24 volts and I have new Trojan batteries. After fishing a couple hours at Shabbona I took the batteries out of the boat to charge them and noticed that one was still at 100% charge and the other is at 50%. Unfortunately I do not know which battery was hooked up to which cable. Is it possible that the trolling motor is only drawing power from one battery? If so, how do I test this without electrocuting myself? :p I suppose I could test each set seperately and see if it is drawing power. I would like to get the problem fixed before the WI opener next week. I would appreciate any and all suggestions of what the problem may be.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
401 Posts
if you have a voltage tester or know someone who does would be a start. They have a red and black cable and a metal contact, you touch the red to your power source and your black to a ground and read the voltage on the screen or guage on the voltage tester. this can help you establish if all your wires are getting voltage. Basically connect your batteries back up and just test all of the wires running off your batteries, if you find one under 13 volts, or with no voltage thats your dead wire and you narrow down the location of the problem. with that you would have a bad wire somewhere between the battery and the location of the trolling motor. hope this helps!!!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
What type of charger are you using? And what gave the 50% rating? I know deep cycle batteries can be wierd sometimes, and have used a couple types or chargers. Sometimes theres an initial strong feeling to the motor with a new battery(s) that mellows out after some use? Maybe? That seemed to be the case with a 45lb on one i know of.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
One other thing. It seems like maybe the cables connecting the batteries are not he right gauge? Do you use those batteries for starting as well? The drain on the one has to do with a starter/charging situation?

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Funny I had the same problem with mine at Beck Sunday. You need to completely drain the battery and then deep cycle charge at 2 amps for 10+ hours. If it's not better then the battery is shot :-(. Also make sure the trolly is not to deep in the water.

If you have 2 connections on the battery(one with a screw and the other the regular terminal ...try the main terminal.(or the scew if you use the main)

Batteries can go bad over time constant cycling a batterie tends to ware it out quicker(plates will not produce the big amps.... the volts will read ok but the cranking amps will be gone. This is why a car has an alternator to top it off quickly after a start

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Another simple option is that one cable has a nick in the isulation somewhere. It could be rotted out on the inside and making a bad connection. Thats where the volt/ohm meter would come in. Just thinking, its happend to a couple old cars i've had, and a boat gets wet and dries out a lot over and over. Sorry, I'm all over the plce here. :?

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. The batteries are brand new and I was having the output problem before I bought them, so I am fairly certain it is not the batteries, but the voltage coming from the cables. I think I will start by testing the voltage as selected. If I had to guess, I think one of the cables is shot and I am only drawing power from 1 12 volt battery. BTW, I have a seperate starter battery for the big motor and accessorys.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
593 Posts
To start Check the plug at the motor for volts.

If they are running in series, it should be 24v.

If one battery is lower than the other possibly the bank charger isn't reaching fully.

I have a 24v system and 1 battery maintains charge better than the other.
They are only 4 yrs old, but I know both work great but need different times for charging..

Best to drain both, then slow charge fully.
Check with a meter to ensure both at >12,
Plug has 24v then go fishing.

Then you know all the power mass balance.

Afterwards check both for volts and the plug at the motor for % of 24.

Faulty gear, rain, low gas and dead bait are dreaded, but a dead battery is THE worst!

:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.