Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the Fox this morning at the St. Charles Dam. I didn't fish very long as I was not sure what to use, and the few things that I tried were lost to rocks out in the river. I am not one to give up, it was something else that made me leave. I have heard a lot of people say that it should only be catch and release in the river, and I would think to myself "why are these people so strange about keeping a fish?". As I sat there, I watched the other fishermen put one fish after another on their stringers. It was disgusting. They were keeping fish of any size, no matter how small.

Darth Wader - I want to thank you for openeing my eyes to this, very apparent, and huge problem on the Fox.

:( :( :(

·
Premium Member
3,701 Posts
It's unfortunate But it happens all over, on most every waterway. Everyone that isn't one HATES Unethical anglers. But these anglers have a totally different mind set, and see the fish in a different appealing way...

Example..

I see them as Sexy... MM. ..mmmm

And they see them as... Tasty... ughh..uhhh...

although i do enjoy a few selective harvest outings a year.

well.. Time to rejoice.. And Toughen up! You catch that big one before they do... !1

And I'll just poor me another glass... Of Koolaid..

:D

->>George<<-

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Darth. I saved the number in my phone. I was not going to keep any so I will have to brush up on the laws; I wouldn't know if they were breaking any. I think the third time out I will have to join someone that has some knowledge. I suppose I can fish any part of the river and I don't have to be right by the dam but I'm not sure. If that is the case I can fish areas that do not have as many other people. I can get to shore spots that others wouldn't bother with if I am "off trail" so to speak.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Karen The Dnr were down in Batavia Sunday Morning checking licenses. If you would have called, I'm sure he would have made his way up north. I also believe he resides in St. Charles so he may be around your neck of the woods a bit. He is a great guy and doesn't seem to mind enforcing the laws. I will leave you all my fish story for this weekend. I was inspired by Darths post so I decided to bring the camera ( something I never do) and find me some bigger fish. I also am stubborn enough not to listen to that fast water advice and go with a slower water, wood laden pattern.... The key being the wood in deeper water attracting heat ETC. I watched some other anglers work over a hole, I wanted to fish but when they were done I sauntered over to fish it. First cast in brought a chunky 18 incher out of a sunken log. Out comes the camera and I've never used the timer feature... Bass in one hand camera in the other... Lip locked smallie , juggling the camera... catching the camera left- handed. :roll: Looking at Mr smallmouth and knowing he needs some oxygen . Put him in the water and watch him slowy getting back to normal and thinking to my self all this stress can't be good for a fish this size when :shock: He suddenly and explosively spins his head and grates my thumb and forefinger and effortlessly swims away. Need less to say, I put the camera back in the house for the weekend and never caught another large fish the rest of the time out. I find it so funny, I had to share this one with you all. The Fishin Musician

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
koolaid2313 said:
I suppose I can fish any part of the river and I don't have to be right by the dam but I'm not sure. If that is the case I can fish areas that do not have as many other people. I can get to shore spots that others wouldn't bother with if I am "off trail" so to speak.
Yep...St. Charles has some great shore fishing away from the dam. The same can be said for most of the other dams. Do some exploring...there are miles of bike trail along the Fox that is great for walking and hitting spots along the way.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got to hang out with Darth today on the Fox and I learned a ton from him. The fish were being lazy and not hitting but I had a bunch of other stuff to learn about the Fox without the fish bothering me. :roll: Well, as long as I think that I feel better. I will never take the kayak with me again because it was a pain in the but. I went between two islands and my rod was in the rod holder and the lure caught onto a tree. I could not stop the kayak or even turn it for about 50 ft. It looked like something right out of a Bill Dance show. If Darth and his two other friends were not there I would have been in a real mess. The three of them helped carry the thing all the way back to the parking lot. :oops:

On a brighter note the DNR cashed the check for the kayak registration so I guess they are going to let my lack of receipt slide. :D From now on the kayak is for lakes only.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.