Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw something walking the other day that made me want to come back with a fishing pole so I did :wink:

2 fish in 2 hours, long and skinny they're just starting to move around a little bit. One was decent the handshot was 17. Few more months they'll be fat :D

Neat to see things spring to life downtown as winter has just recently left us. Harbors just started in the past few days putting out the buoys. Rabbits and squirrels are everywhere. Even the fisherman are starting to get more plentiful in the past week :)

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man there was a monster swimming around. I changed baits at least 15-20 times in 30 minutes. He ignored everything I threw at him. I was working it like a pro...............no dice. He at least swam up to my flash jig to check it out but would swim away after a few seconds. Didn't matter what I did to trigger a strike, I swam it up right in front of his face and made it do the "crazy dance" and I tried the same and doing the "nothing dance", not interested. I cant even guess how much this fish weighed only that it was a monster. Just cruising the wall back and forth, I waited for a while just to find out what it eats but I never did see him go after anything

·
Administrator
5,370 Posts
Great fish, JNap! You finally getting into largemouth bass? I know, I know... you want the smallies but way to get some nice bass on the Big Pond!

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was surprised at how hard the smaller one hit the bait and fought. A lot of people use mini sized bait selection this early in the year but not me. The jig hanging out of the fishes mouth is 1/8th oz I pour with a 3 inch skirt and 4 inch kalins glitter grub. I was maybe hopin to run across a northern, I hear they're down there and will chase that jig too.

·
Premium Member
3,701 Posts
jnapodano said:
I was surprised at how hard the smaller one hit the bait and fought. A lot of people use mini sized bait selection this early in the year but not me. The jig hanging out of the fishes mouth is 1/8th oz I pour with a 3 inch skirt and 4 inch kalins glitter grub. I was maybe hopin to run across a northern, I hear they're down there and will chase that jig too.
I thought 1/8oz and 4" plastics was small this time of year..lol

Man, i know How it is. I was fishing a Really Really clear small lake and fished just a 3 pounder for 8 Hours, 8 Hours i spent on one fish Throwing everything at him. Working everything i could think of. I Followed him and watched his behavior and after about 4-6 hours every time he'd swim past this log he'd stop and kind of swim into it eyeing something but never showed any interest in anything until I tossed it near the log he bounced it in place until he looked got him to follow it up the log popped it off and boom. The biggest accomplishment I ever felt and this was just a three pounder. Sometimes You'll work a fish so long you wont ever realize it. It's sort of an addiction. I can say one thing though those clear water bass will really boost your angling skills. I was curious if you don't mind, About what type of line you use ??

Keep up the good work !

George

·
Premium Member
3,701 Posts
Off topic, but until This year I always wondered exactly what you meant in your signature "he who speaks little catches fish"

This year, I've found the true meaning.

I'm right there with you buddy :D

Keep them coming

George

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
POP: I didn't have a real nightcrawler but I threw a 4 & 8 or 10 inch tiki worm in his face for a while dangled. When I said I changed baits 15-20 times in 30 minutes I wasn't exaggerating, I really did try everything 8)

Thanks for the kinds words all, really just a matter of being in the right place at the right time though.

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Do you think this warm spelll is going to make the fish go nuts? Some of the smaller local ponds seem to have gone from winter dormacy to pre-spawn in only a few days. I know the lake takes much longer to warm, but I would imagine they really are going to get going in the harbors soon.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.