Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After talking with SpecialEd on this forum he recommended Capt. Ralph Steiger(captsteiger.com) as a guide for Lake Michigan. When I called him he was fully booked for Smallmouth fishing but he told me he had days open casting for Trout and Salmon in March. Well, it sounded like a great idea so we booked March 25th with him. The weather dropped and it was windy that day but we did really good. We dressed warm for the occasion and the first spot we hit I ended up catching ~20lb carp on a jig. We moved over to another spot and right away we were on the coho's and browns. At one point the fishing was really good we would get bites on every single cast. When the bite slowed I asked Ralph if we could try trolling a bit since we've never tried it before and ended up catching a couple of coho and 1 nice steelhead that way. As we were about to leave we decided to hit another spot and we ended up catching 3 more cohos. Between my dad, brother and I we probably caught close to 35 coho's(kept about 15 of them) ,2-3 Browns, and 1 steelhead. For a long time now I've been looking to find a good guide for Lake Mich. and I finally found one. Ralph is a really good guy, and his knowledge of the water is incredible. I was very pleased with this trip and due to a cancellation, I recently booked another trip with him this April for smallies, I can't wait. I forgot the camera so these are the only pics I have.

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Wow, congrats on a great trip. I have heard nothing but good things about Ralph's guide service. In fact, someone even compared him to being the Eric Hatadja of that end of the lake. His results certainly speak for themself.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Awesome bro, glad you got out with Capt. Ralph, that guy knows that lake and those fish like no other.

I'm pumped about my trip next week big time. I'll definitely bring my camera, so expect a pic heavy post fellas!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Cam said:
Those colors on the steelhead and brown are so perfect. They look very different depending on time of year and those colors are just wonderful. Sounds like an awesome trip. Congrats.
hey Cam that first fish is actually a brown as well. Spring time colors :)

And awesome job with the Captain. Hopefully you learned a lot. I've heard nothing but great things about that guy. I follow his web site too a little and he's always producing big time results!

·
Registered
386 Posts
mplant1 said:
Cam said:
Those colors on the steelhead and brown are so perfect. They look very different depending on time of year and those colors are just wonderful. Sounds like an awesome trip. Congrats.
hey Cam that first fish is actually a brown as well. Spring time colors :)

And awesome job with the Captain. Hopefully you learned a lot. I've heard nothing but great things about that guy. I follow his web site too a little and he's always producing big time results!
truth, I didn't pay attention to the lack of spots on the tail, or the spots. My bad!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys are correct the first pic is a brown. We didn't take a pic of the steelhead that was caught. I've been on many guided trips all over and it's rare to find a guide who is very good and also is a good guy. Ralph is a class act. There have been many times I've had a guide where you would feel almost uncomfortable being on their boat.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Culprit said:
Fantastic trip Spiroh ! Did u bring ur own rod n reel ?
I did :) My dad and my brother used the guide's gear. Pretty much all of his stuff is top end though. He had shimano reels on shimano Cumara rods, which btw are VERY nice. My brother has had his 6'8 Cumara(spinning) for quite some time but you need at least a 7footer out there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.