Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished yesterday and today. Yesterday was skunk city. Should have stayed home. Morning temps were mid 30s and after about an hour on the water the wind kicked up and pretty much killed the day. I tried to get out of the wind but the areas that were protected were void of fish. Called it about noon.

Different story today. Air temp was colder @ 27 degrees but the wind laid down nicely. I tried for striper for about 2 hours. Chased feeding gulls all over the place but no hooks on stripers. Had a few bumps and a tail bit off my paddle tail bait.

Switched over to cats and caught 3. I found 1 spot were a feeder creek intersected the main channel and got 2 there. Then went to a spot that was a long rocky point that ended right into the channel. Spot locked there. Caught one and had a few halfhearted take downs.

I will be back out next week for a day or two.
~JOE~
Naval architecture Watercraft Boat Hood Ship

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I am. I like the follow the contour feature as well. My only issue with it is if the wind kicks up then I have to kick up the trolling motor speed to stay on the contour line I have chosen. Then my speed can be too fast for a good catfish drift. When that happens I switch to spot lock then just change the location every minute or so which keeps me following the contour.
The fact that my Humminbird and the Minn kota are linked together is amazing. I am getting better at using both units. My Suzuki outboard is good too. The engine starts immediately when the key is turned.

My new boat is great. I can’t think of one thing that I don’t like about it.

~JOE~

·
Registered
944 Posts
Joe, you did your research and sound pretty happy with your boat purchase and set-up. Glad to hear it and see the report. With the weather you're having I don't imagine you are seeing many other watercrafts on the water unless they have some Yankee influence. Wondering now if we will ever see a kayak fishing report again. How that pouch doing?

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are always people on the water down here. Not as many though. The cold mornings usually warm up into the 50s during the day now. Actually that low temp was not normal for this time of year.

Concerning the Hobie for now she is put away in the garage along with my canoe. I’ll get her out again probably in the spring.

Tink has been with us for nine months. We had her spayed and she is doing great. She is healthy now, not like the skeleton dog I found in February

~JOE~

1 - 7 of 7 Posts