Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
It probably is too loud to be trolling in the DPR. You probably spooked most pike. You will probably be better off throwing a trolling motor it and casting into some backwaters and flooded area, current breaks, pipes and structure. In my Honest Opionion

Nice try out there though, you never know... I have caught tons of fish trolling, mostly on bigger and deeper bodies of water.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Wrench is right. Use an electric trolling motor to get into areas and then cast. The fish are there, but you are scaring them in that little body of water with the motor.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Glad you had a nice ride! Another idea for next time is to drive straight to devon with the gas motor and then drift all the way back in the current casting at different targets. Just an idea.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, my brother and I had a good time out there even if we didn't catch any. I was more interested in the cruise down the river - I grew up right here and never knew we were able to do this! Ha, I should have been playing with small boats instead of mini-bikes and go-karts when I was kid and getting in trouble.

There are some parts of the river that look far better for fishing than others. It took us about 2 and a half hours to cruise up the river from Irving Park Road to Devon Ave against the current draggin lines with the 2 hp engine. We got back with the current in about an hour (not trolling on the way back.) We got a late start (damn it was cold) and didn't even start until about 10am, not exactly prime fishin time.

The river seems pretty deep, I'm guessing 6 feet on average, and wow there was a good current. We stopped the motor to refill gas for only a few seconds and the current really carried us down river.

...ha, this is going to be fun!!! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.