Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was a nice little tidbit I found online.

By Ted Peck

By mid-April, largemouth bass action on upstate Illinois waters will really be heating up. Those who fish bucketmouths in the northern third of our state are on the cusp when this game fish is touted by most outdoors writers. Regional articles must consider closed seasons in states just north of us. General state articles tend to be heavily slanted toward downstate waters where there isn't much opportunity to explore a pattern that happens just after ice-out.

We're going to look at some of northern Illinois' top bass waters in this article. But first, a quick look at an effective bass-catching pattern that only applies to upstate Illinois lakes over the next several weeks.

If you're itching to tangle with Ol' Mossback when she is still tinged with a touch of frost, sharpen the hooks on lipless vibrating crankbaits, spinnerbaits and suspending stickbaits. Then check your surface temperature gauge for accuracy. Within a few days either side of April 20, it will be time to bust a move on bucketmouths. Exactly why largemouths go on a feeding rip when water temperatures warm to 43 degrees is something I haven't figured out yet. But believe me, they do. This magic number occurs in the far north end of most lakes first, especially if there is a dark bottom that accelerates the warming trend.

When waters warm to 48 degrees, it's time to put away the Rat-L-Traps and spinnerbaits, and to try an almost deadstick-like approach with suspending stickbaits -- or move to another part of the lake where water is in that magic 43- to 48-degree window. Bass in early spring tend to congregate around the warmest water. You may find this hot pattern effective on only a couple hundred yards of shoreline on a 500-acre lake.

In perfecting the nuances of this pattern over the past 20 years or so I have discovered the largemouths show a real affinity for orange/red crawdad-patterned lures. Slow-rolling seems to work best with spinnerbaits. When you're tossing the Rat-L-Trap, bring it back with a steady medium to almost fast retrieve. This is a striking rather than a feeding presentation in waters less than 6 feet deep. When ice leaves the lake, bass seek the warmest water. Predatory instincts seem to take precedence over caution in that brief window between 43 to 48 degrees. At 48 degrees, it's almost like their brains thaw out, sending the fish skulking toward deeper water and heavy cover where they'll grudgingly take a jig-and-pig or similar presentation until waters warm beyond 55 degrees. That's when most bass anglers start getting serious about chasing Illinois' most popular game fish.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Great article and very true ,but I discovered in my experiences that bass will hit a rattling bait as soon as the ice starts to melt.
As the water gets warmer then jerkbaits start to work like x-raps and rogues.
Once the water hits above 50 than pretty much everything works .

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree that theories don't always work everywhere.(Bring on the swimbaits!) Just thought it was interesting since this time of the year we just know that the water is cold. BRRRRRRRRRR! Culprit, were you at the pond no one wants to say last Saturday around 11:00 AM?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
the blue jeep ?
u mean the east end

next time say something
i see u live in wheeling i`m in mt.prospect by river rd and euclid.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The red Grand Cherokee. I would have said something, but I only saw your pic today in your post. The other guy wasn't very talkitive and you were further down the shore. So I left.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
lol
That was basscaster , he was upset cuz he missed his alarm lol

ya dude next time say something :) always good to meet a fellow angler !

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BassCaster said:
http://proxy.espn.go.com/outdoors/bassmaster/members/insider/bmmarchive/story?page=b_fea_2008_tactics_trapping_lunker_bass_BMM0408_public
Went through this issue. Another good article thanks!
Next time I will stay longer.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
It's that time of year...and as you showed Aris ...They sure do work at the pond :lol:

·
Registered
428 Posts
BassCaster said:
http://proxy.espn.go.com/outdoors/bassmaster/members/insider/bmmarchive/story?page=b_fea_2008_tactics_trapping_lunker_bass_BMM0408_public

TRAP TRICK

When fishing a lipless crankbait in brushy or weedy areas, reduce hang-ups by clipping the leading hook off both sets of trebles.

Sometimes I just take the front treble off but the clip Idea sounds good also :wink:
I've done that in the past Mike, but you also can miss some hook-ups by doing that. You're damned if you do damned if you don't scenerio

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.