Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got on the water around 7:30 after stopping in Utica for some blade (zip?) baits and minnows. Good thing too. We normally fish Plum Island on a drift and troll around the dam, but Buster at the bait store said they were heavy up the Vermillion, so that's where we went. We kept 20 fish for 20 lbs out of the 75 we got (Didn't have enough room in the cooler!). Did have a nice dinner though. Took the fish to my favorite Mexican restaurant and had some of them cooked up with some garlic. Mmmmmm, mmmmm, GOOD!

Caught walleye, white bass, drum, river herring, buffalo, croaker, and gar (they were spawing about half a mile up the Vermillion below the rapids) almost exclusively on gold blade baits. 87 in all, a new boat record. Saw a bald eagle just before the afternoon rain soaked us. Bad news was all the dead asian carp along the shores. Scary sight.

I'd put up a pic, but not sure how. The FAQ says I have to post a link to another site, but I don't have one right now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The three lane launch is right in the park just downstream from the lock and Plum Island. There is also a dock to load and offload peole and equipment. You can see someone using the ramp just behind me in one of the pics. Its about a 15 minute ride to the Vermillion with the boat in the pics.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've been meaning to get some blade baits for a while. One of my buddies does really good fishing with blade baits for drum near the horseshoe and the occasional LM walleye near Soldier Field/Museum Campus. Looks like a fun day of fishing :!:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.