Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit up the Glen on a warm Saturday evening from about 6-8:15. With warm temps & a light SW breeze I figured the action would be as good if not better than it was for me on Friday night, but that was not the case. Started out promising with a nice 14" bass on my first cast that hit a small white Berkley Power Tube, but the rest of the night brought only a few taps and a decent walleye that broke my line as I was trying to grab 'em.
Despite my better judgement I returned Sunday evening from 6:30-9:30 PM (shhh, don't tell the cops :wink: ) with all my ice fishing gear. Seriously, it was brutal out there when fishing into the wind, but with my work schedule the way it is lately I couldn't resist. I expected the fishing to be slow, which it was for most of my night. I got a few nice gills and a very small walleye at my first spot on a jig & crawler, skunked at the next two, ready to go home and take a hot shower when I decided one last spot couldn't hurt. First couple casts felt like I'd gotten hung up on the bottom but set the hook anyways but without a fish to show for it. Upon reeling in my line however, my crawler was either completely gone or bitten clean off just below the turn in my hook. Convinced these weren't panfish biting my crawler off so cleanly, but rather "something with teeth", I changed my rig from a jig & crawler to a "Geneva Rig" which is basically just a split shot 18" up from a worm holder hook. It was now 8:30 & I couldn't feel my hands, nose, as well as other appendages, but I could smell walleye in the air. Next cast brought barely a tick, I paused and nailed the first of a dozen or more walleye. Unfortunately they were all small between 10-14" spare a monster that I never got a great look at but definitely saw the glow of her moon eye before she shook me off. One of the most rewarding fishing experiences I've had in a while considering the weather conditions, how light the bite was, how late it was/having an entire lake to myself, and of course, catching walleye in any Illinois body of water is a rewarding experience outright. Sorry for the long post, but my adrenaline is still pumping enough to allow my frozen fingers to type. I'll post a couple pics below as a sampling of my catch, more if I get a chance to upload 'em later. I LOVE WALLEYE! As always, good fishing.
Alex

·
Registered
453 Posts
VERY NICE! What part of the lake were you fishing...I've NEVER caught a walleye in all the times that I've fished the Glen, and since the bass have seemed turned off lately, I'd love to try for walleye next time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.