Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the kayak out for a spin from 10am till 4pm. I'm a die hard fly guy from Denver, so getting into warmwater species has sure been fun! So if you see me fishin in a blue kayak, shout a hello!

Literally a fish on every cast! 6" Gills, same size crappie with a few pushing 10" here and there. Also got into several 10-12" bass. Big bass were 19" and a breakoff on one much larger, likeky 22-24" ! Had a bluegill on the top fly, and when i got it out of the water, i thought the trailer fly was snagged. Looked in the water to see a huge bass take off with it!

Caught all on a Turcks Trantula and a modified Gatrside Sparrow. The fly=guys should know those patterns.

Totaled way over 50 fish today and spotted several very nice bass cruizing.

Needless to say, once on the water, Beck Lake is alive and kicking!

·
Registered
197 Posts
JW
Welcome to WCF. Finally a fly-person "we have to be politically correct". It's been awhile since I have wet the fly line but I think I can still cast. I am new here too. You got my blood flowing. Never caught a bass on a fly but I have caught my share of trout and bluegill. Now that is sport fishing. Friend of mine in Minn knows a guy that holds the state record for pike on a fly rod. That is really cool.8) Jason was telling me that Beck is good but I never thought of the fly. I started fly fishing in my teens and fished in Rocky Mountain National Park. Don't you miss Colorado? My parents loved it and I have to get out there soon to deposit there ashes on a certain mountain top. Let me know how I can get some of your custom flies. I did that a long time ago and still have the tying kit I bought in the 70s.
Welcome again brother and hope to hear from you soon.
Meet you on the water.
LUV2FISH

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flyperson... :roll: I prefer River Rat, Trout Bum.... Anyway, glad i found this site, i was wondering a while if there was a local forum. I still moderate the Fly Fishing and Fly tying sections of a real popular Colorado forum ( 9000 members). we've been in Illinois since December, will move back late next fall.

I think i'm the only one using the long rod out here, have not seen anyone else doing it.

Glad you got into RMNP ! beautiful place with a ton of killer lakes over 11oooft chok full of Cutts, greenbacks, and several old high lakes with Cutts pushing 26" ! Lived in Golden the last 5yrs, Clear Creek was 5 mins away, and hit the So. Platte 3-4 times a week, Pan, Williams Fork, colo River... on and on. Colorado sure is trout fishing heaven! Now i'm on a competition kick, just another fun aspect of the sport, and I get to travel a bit and fish!
Been fly fishing exclusively the last 20yrs and tying just as long. If you ever need flies made, just email me and i'll get 'em done. ( jwcustomflies at gmail dot com )

I've found beck to be a pretty good lake, small, relitively easy, low boating pressure ( so far) and its actually pretty clean! Hoping to hit a few more this summer, on the kayak or shore.
If you haven't fished lakes with flies, you're missing out! THe fish respond readily to the stuff they hardly see :p If you ever wanted a refresher course, just give a shout, be glad to do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.