Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to like this little lake :) Very productive place!
GOt on the water about 1030am, little wind an totally overcast with an approaching rain squall to the N.E. Water was pretty warm too, at least 60 deg. Headed out to the east side of the island to check on the crappies i found last weekend. Slab after Slab after Slab! No dinks in sight! All the crappie averaged 8-10". Got them either on top or a foot down on a trailing orange-bodied nymph.
Too much fun to throw bugs over submurged branches, and watch a big black diamond rise up an annhilate the fly! Fish were not shy today, and on the feed big time till the rain came. About 130 or so, the wind picked up and the rain fell for an hour or so. Cleared up good later on, around 4pm . After a nap, hit the water again to find the water chilled off, and the fish on lockdown. Very slow till dusk.

Got to meet Dedfisher and his father today as well, good guys! He came over to where i was drifting to say hello, then tossed his minnow/float over the reeds and BAM - nice chunky Bass ! Hows that for an introduction -schooled by the kid! :
( He got into a decent hammer-handle pike later on too.

At the end of the day, got to meet Ms. DOW ( pretty cute :) ) for a liscence/pfd check. Good to know they are out doing their job!

These guys were everywhere in the morning ! :

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't kept any fish in years, except high mountain brookies in Colo. But after a dozen of those crappie, i thought -"Man, that would have been a helluva dinner ! "

Maybe next time i'll keep two, for old times sake, and some beer batter :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
JW
I was thinking about you out there with the beautiful weather in the morning while I was stuck in the office doing paperwork. Nice slabs. Must have been a blast on the flies. :D Got to get those customs that you tied up for me soon.
Did you get MS Dow's number? LOL
2FISH

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well since i haven't used actual bait in over 25yrs, i can't help ya there, however Crappie do have a thing for anything white or chartruse.

ANY sunken brushy structure will hold crappie, as do sunken trees. With trees, concentrate on the junction of trunk/branches. When the water is very warm or on sunny days, they are usually holding either on bottom or at the point where the visibility stops. Cloudy days brings the bigger fish up to the feed near the surface. I use small minnow flies, about 1-1.5" long in tandem with a swimming style bug. Where they hold seems to be very lght dependant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.