Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is the start of my five days of fishing! Today I fished the NSC near the Howard bridge from 9:30-12:30. The sun was out and the temp was nice.

Last time I was on the NSC I caught a bunch of white perch on fat heads. Today I tried baby roaches on 1/16 oz jigs for about an hour hoping to get some bass. I landed one huge perch and whatever kind of fish is in the picture below.

For the next hour I casted 3½ dark green gitzit tube (nothing). Finally I decided to go small and used a small Berkley power bait. I caught a bunch of small fish but no bass.

White Perch - 6
Blue Gill - 3
Mystery fish - 2

Here is my schedule for the rest of the days of my vacation.

Day 2 Wednesday - Busse WWD - bass
Day 3 Thursday - Navy Pier - perch
Day 4 Friday - South Rocks - steelhead or browns
Day 5 Saturday - Beck on a canoe - hopefully bass

Hopefully I'll see some of you out there!

-Sean

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
That would be a gizard shad. They are really thick in the NSC.

If you are planning on going to Busse WWD tomorrow, let me know. I was going to go there for a while myself. Maybe we can meet up.

·
Registered
136 Posts
toothdoc said:
That would be a gizard shad. They are really thick in the NSC.

If you are planning on going to Busse WWD tomorrow, let me know. I was going to go there for a while myself. Maybe we can meet up.
let me print the map to WWD first. I will try to go there to meet your guys!
what time and what bait I should bring?

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Bigrain, the best thing to use a the Busse WWD is light line with a minnow. I need to pick up minnows in the morning and the bait shop near there opens at 9 a.m., so I will probably get to the WWD shortly after that. Go to the Busse topic board on this site and Jason has some general comments about Busse, including the exact location.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll be at the WWD early in the morning tomorrow. I only have a few minnows and will probably have to make a run to Lee's around nine or so. Hope to see you guys there!

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
it was real tough there this saturday. the bass are seeing a ton of pressure with minnows. aris and i went to lee's for a minnow run and picked up some roaches. i used the roaches and aris stuck with xlarge fatheads and i seemed to pick up a few more bass with the roaches.

another guy was sight fishing with crawlers and he was landing some real nice bass. no fish can resist a tasty worm squirming around i guess. it's tough with all the piranha like panfish that attack worms but it seemed to be paying off for him.

i spotted at least two 5lb bass there this sat. and that pike was caught twice by 2 guys standing opposite each other. both times caught on minnows.

i was going to head out yesterday with some crawlers but decided to stay home with the family and watch some hockey on my free cable. kekeke

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Nice Report, those shad would be good bait for Busse if you can get them smaller, I never saw them there but the DNR says that gizzard shad is the main forage there, or sumfing like that. Then again not sure how legal that would be.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Thanks for the tips Augy. I think that I still have some nightcrawlers, so I will bring them along tomorrow.

MrB, according to Augy, you can use gizard shad for bait. He talked to a warden about this.

·
Registered
136 Posts
toothdoc said:
Bigrain, the best thing to use a the Busse WWD is light line with a minnow. I need to pick up minnows in the morning and the bait shop near there opens at 9 a.m., so I will probably get to the WWD shortly after that. Go to the Busse topic board on this site and Jason has some general comments about Busse, including the exact location.
how light should the line be?
my lightest is 8lb, maybe 10lb.
it's not easy for me to change it tonight.
do you think it's possible just using those 8lb line?

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Actually that line might be a little too heavy. The fish at the WWD tend to be a little line shy. I use 6#, and I know that Augy and some others use 4#. I definitely wouldn't use anything bigger than 8# at most.

·
Registered
136 Posts
toothdoc said:
Actually that line might be a little too heavy. The fish at the WWD tend to be a little line shy. I use 6#, and I know that Augy and some others use 4#. I definitely wouldn't use anything bigger than 8# at most.
thanks,
i will go to Henrys to find light line.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
i use 8# just make sure the hook is a small one. I am going to change to 4# but 8 will work with a small hook

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
i'd go with 4# Vanish. i used trilene xl 4# and i noticed a difference. amazing how line can matter so much. good luck out there guys. i'll piss my pants if one of yous catches one of them 5lbers. they are HUGE!!! :shock:

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Augy said:
i'd go with 4# Vanish. i used trilene xl 4# and i noticed a difference. amazing how line can matter so much. good luck out there guys. i'll piss my pants if one of yous catches one of them 5lbers. they are HUGE!!! :shock:
That's my goal, for Augy to piss his pants. I mean catch one of those 5 lbers! :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Those shad look like golden roaches that I catch at a nearby pond. I'd also like to make it to the south rocks...there have been some big 9-10 lb. steelhead caught lately...mostly on spoons. If you go, I suggest using small white tubes or crappie jigs under a float.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Hey Phil, the reports that I have seen from the South Rocks report that the fishing hasn't been that great. A lot of guys getting skunked. If it is indeed better, I am up for a try there.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Phil thanks for the tips. What do you suggest I bait the tubes or jigs with? Also, how far under a float should the tube be?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Good luck out there Sean !

·
Registered
453 Posts
Islandfisher said:
Hey Phil thanks for the tips. What do you suggest I bait the tubes or jigs with? Also, how far under a float should the tube be?
A few spikes or waxies...start about 4 feet down and move down from there...most are around 5 feet deep. I really need to get out there. I'm thinking about maybe Montrose Friday...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts