Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave Navy Pier a try today in day 3 of my 5 in 5. I fished from 7:30-9:30 (I woke up late and had to leave before they charged me an arm and a leg for parking). The sun was out again and the temps were pleasant. I fished up and down the north side of the pier.

Lee's was out of fat heads yesterday so I used crawlers on 2 floating jig heads; one placed a foot above a drop weight and the other placed about three feet above. I tried this for an hour and got nothing! I switched to a green/lime "tiny tube" with a small piece of crawler and was able to pull in two small perch. The two perch I caught were very light colored.

Right after I got home a read a report about a guy catching huge perch on the other side of the pier using minnows and crappie jigs. Next time I go I'll have to give that a try.

Tomorrow my Dad and I are headed to the south rocks to try for some steelhead; wish us luck!

Perch - 2

5 in 5 Schedule:

Friday - South Rocks
Saturday - Beck Lake

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thanks for the report. Nice view you had man. I've been reading that swedish pimples and spikes are doing quite well. Can anyone tell me what a pimple is? And where I would be able to find this pimple? Thanks in advance. Never heard of it.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Thanks for the report Sean. I don't think that the perch bite has really started due to the warmer than normal temps that we have been having.

Frank here is what a swedish pimple is. They are usually used through the ice. I believe that they are for jigging.

http://www.baydenoclure.com/pimple.htm

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thanks doc, what size would you suggest for perching? They look like spoons, must have seen them before and just didn't realize.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Frank, try the smaller sizes, maybe a #2 or even a #3. They usually have them at Dick's in the icefishing section. As a matter of fact, Dick's had all of their icefishing stuff on sale recently. I have some, but have never really used them. Good luck if you go and let us know how you do.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm heading out to the south rocks tomorrow with my dad but have never been there before. Is the circled picture below the south rocks?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Sean, that is indeed the south rocks. I would try the north side because I have heard that has been better than the south side. You can park right there and walk right out to fishing. No long walk. :D

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
good luck sean. heard some good reports coming out of waukegan. hope to see some kickass pics of steelhead.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts