Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out to Shabbona with some friends. This was my second time there. We went once last year as well and we have not done well there. To be honest after two trips I am not really a fan. Anyway we got out on the lake just before 10am (late start). It was cool and overcast with occasional light drizzle. We went straight from the boat rental to the weeds and submerged trees on the east side of the lake. Not much luck there. Do not have an exact temperature reading but I was surprised by how warm the water was. Caught one perch on nightcrawler and a microscopic bass on a senko. We tried leaches, nightcrawlers, several colors of senkos, a couple crank baits, and even some topwater (jitterbug and a frog). Then the clouds parted, the sun came out and we moved from that section of the lake. We spent some time briefly in some weeds in the far northeast corner of the lake. Very shallow over there with tons of cover but no luck. My guess is we would have been better off if we could have gotten further in to the pads. We then moved on to the weeds just east of the submerged railroad tracks at the north end of the lake. I caught our only decent fish while we were there. Did not measure or weigh the fish but I would guess it was in the 16" range and just shy of 2 lbs. That area there seemed like a good spot but we only got to spend about 20 minutes there before we had to bring the boat back. Anyone headed there for bass, I would send you in that direction.
One of my buddy's brother lives on some land out that way and he has a pond on the property so we went there around 3 for some easy fishing. We killed them there. Between 3 and 8 pm I would say the four of us caught a total of over 50 fish. Some were really good sized. I am gonna to try and post some pictures of the two 4+ pound fish we caught. We really had a great time.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Some nice looking bass! I actually went out there this past weekend, and of course- a damn cold front made it's way through just in time for saturday. My dad and I were both skunked, had a couple of hits, that's it. But we only stayed out there for a few hours, or until we were both wet from the rain. My dad told me that he fished shabbona when it first opened up, and you could pretty much walk accross the lake on the boats...so I'm guessing that lake has been fished real hard for a long time, and not much stocking is taking place, which is a shame.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.