Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
being a glutton for punishment, i headed over again at about 7:30-8:30 tonight. TONS of fishing pressure! Bucketheads, boat, and plenty of casters all around the lake. I usually don't go on weekends, but tonight the lunar calander said should be 'excellent' so what the heck. Got one 16" LMB on senko casting out over reeds near the church. otherwise nothing except birdsnests and headaches with the b/c :x getting sick of em, though some were due to a loop over the rod :oops: but i can't be making half the casts i would with a spinning reel...

question: would a longer and more rigid rod help casting? i have a 5'6" medium rod right now. I like it but the tip seems to be stiff yet floppy, hard to explain, but seems to make shorter casts almost impossible to do without a giant lure or big birdsnest. thanks for any suggestions...i don't want to relegate the b/c to trolling, but at this rate thats exactly where its gonna end up.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I personally like to use longer rods. My shortest rod is my St. Croix jiger' at 6". My baitcaster is a GL2 7" medium fast action rod. The extra length/fast action gives the rod a little "flop" which helps throwing light baits at short distances. At the same time this allows you to really launch larger baits at far distances.

However, I feel that longer rods sometimes cut down on the over all feel which may effect your hookset. IMHO go longer in rod length for better casting but be ready to loose a little feeling unless your ready to shell out some $ for a highend rod!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.