Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of WCF members out there today. I actually called an audible this morning and decided to take on Deep Lake today instead of Defiance Lake in Moraine Hills State Park. I brought my wife along so that she could see what Deep was all about. We were out from about 6:00 a.m. until 11:30 a.m. It was slower for me than it has been in recent weeks as we brought in only 2 bass, 3 bluegill, and a pike. My wife started out by getting 3 bluegill right away on pieces of crawler and then decided she wanted bigger fish and hooked up a slugo which ultimately led to this 14-incher (sorry Mike it wasn't a triple slugo 8) )

For the second day in a row (first on Lake Geneva yesterday and Deep today) I caught a pike on a drop shot finesse worm. This one was a 24-incher.

And last, but not least, I caught the fish of my lifetime on the same dark purple senko with blue flake that has been working at Deep the last 3 weekends in a row. I was fishing over between a couple of docks on the south side when I started reeling in except I couldn't pick up the slack and then the line started moving rapidly from my left to right. I set the hook immediately and........well...........I will let the pictures do the talking.

I was literally shaking when I put my thumb on the lip to lift her up and continued shaking for several minutes after. This monster ended up being 22" long with a 17" girth. I didn't get the scale on her because I wanted to get her back in the water, but the various calculators on the internet put this fish at about 6.75 pounds. I could have actually fit my fist into her mouth it was so big. What an absolute thrill. This fish will most likely be my avatar for a long, long time. I LOVE DEEP!!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Glad you and your wife had a good time.

Nice Bass/Pike Matt. You have a new avatar each week :lol:

How did the new trolly go?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New trolly worked great. Made it across the long part of the lake twice at full throttle with no issues. The 55 pound thrust has some get up and go for sure.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Nice fish Clancy :shock: It`s great that u can enjoy fishing with the wife :)

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
ok, i'll say what everyone else is thinking. i'm jealous as hell matt! :lol: what a HAWG!!! :shock: that's going to be tough to beat around these parts and what a thrilling memory you'll treasure for a long time. and the cool thing was that your wife was able to share in the momentous occasion. very cool!

congrats dude!!

our report: 3 dinks. john caught the first one that unskunked him. good job. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys, but I should be thanking all of you for turning me on to Deep Lake. Without this site and all the members here I would never have even heard of this place. So I have to thank you all for leading me to the opportunity to catch by far my biggest bass ever. I just hope I can catch another one just like it or bigger on the 30th during the WCF tournament. :wink:

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
"I just hope I can catch another one just like it or bigger on the 30th during the WCF tournament. "

You used all your big fish up to early :lol:

The Deep Lake fishing Gods are done blessing you.... :wink:

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You're probably right. The fishing gods have been good to me lately so it's inevitable that I should be getting the hammer soon. :(

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
ClancyWiggum said:
I just hope I can catch another one just like it or bigger on the 30th during the WCF tournament. :wink:
i saw the "big one" of deep lake!! i'm not joking around it was the thickest bass i have ever seen in a natural situation. my heart literally stopped for the brief moment i encountered it. 2 smaller 5 lber's were following right behind. :shock: and they looked like dinks compared to her. i can still picture her swimming by as my lure didn't sink fast enough to get down to her. i switched rigs and as soon as i turned around to cast she was gone. :sad:

the water was so incredibly clear you could see 10 even 15 feet down with polarized 8) glasses.

i saw more of deep lake than ever before. it's a beautiful underwater jungle down there that is teeming with life. it really was breathtaking!

some bass were still in the shallows but not many. they were definitley hanging out along the weed edges on the drop offs. find the edge, find the bass. :wink:

i wish we can be on the water by 5am. that's some primetime we're missing out on.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
"i wish we can be on the water by 5am. that's some primetime we're missing out on."

Can't we just Pre-Pay Stoch and maybe setup something with Jack?

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
who's got jack's number? maybe we could arrange something for the tournament. i was thinking also that we could have a bbq afterwards by the picnic tables. something simple, brats and beer. :?:

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't see why that would be a problem. All we would need is access to the life vests and oars. Stoch is already up around 5:30 so what's another 30 minutes earlier?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.