Chicago Fishing Forum banner

6/30 Tournament of Champions???

6K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  BassCaster 
#1 ·
A little late, but we are off!!!

#3 ·
Weigh-in update!!!! #1cubsfan has 6lbs3oz from 3 fish. FishinMatt has 5lbs4oz from 2 fish. Culprit has 4lbs6oz from 1 giant fish. Stay tuned we have one more weigh-in to come.

#4 ·
Well the results are in and your winner coming from behind is Jason followed by #1cubsfan and Culprit. I don't have exact numbers, Toothdoc has those, bu congratulations to Jason. Big fish winner was Culprit with a 4lb6oz beauty. Congratulations to Culprit. See you all next time!!!!

#11 ·
It was a heck of a event. 3 of us that caught fish in the morning where a good fish away from winning it. Jason and I were on a good pattern and he made a slight adjustment that paid off big time. I on the other hand had most of my chances early but could not keep them on the hook today. I gotta give it to Jason. I had a blast watching him roar from the back of the pack to win. A true testiment to persistence paying off in the end.

#12 ·
Jason that's a fine !!!! Deep lake bass :lol:

Sorry i missed out. Got to just love the Deep Lake fishing
and for a few $$$ even more fun.

Red Senko's ...right Jay? :wink:
or did you pull out the slugo's...do tell

#13 ·
Well here are the official results from today:

1. Jason 8lbs 4oz from 4 fish. His largest was 4lbs 5oz.
2. #1cubsfan 6lbs 3oz from 3 fish. His largest was 3lbs 2oz.
3. Culprit 5lbs 10oz from 2 fish. Largest fish was 4lbs 6oz.
4. FishinMatt 5lbs 4oz from 2 fish. Largest fish was 2lbs 14oz.
5. Toothdoc 4lbs 6oz from 2 fish. Largest fish was 3lbs 4oz.
6.ClancyWiggum 1lb 6 oz from 1 fish.
7. Baefish caught a 17 inch, 2lb 8oz at 1:05, so I don't think that we can count it.
7. BigAl
7 Augy

We fished from 5am to 1pm. What a great day to be on the water. Everyone caught atleast one fish, so nobody got the skunk.

#14 ·
Well boys... what a great time!

Gotta hand out some props first...

To Toothdoc and Culprit - thanks SO much for coming up with the idea of two weigh-ins. I was really troubled with trotting fish on a stringer around the lake for so many hours. I seriously thank you both with coming up with that great idea!

To Fishinmatt for being a great fishing partner and really working that trolling motor to get us in position on the weed edges in the second half. You worked your ass off dude - THANK YOU and nice job!

To BigAl for supplying a truly cool tournament trophy - the Scooby Doo fishing pole. Didn't get a chance to hoist it up for a pic, but it's the perfect trophy for our tourney's. Nice call Al!

To Matt (ClancyWiggum) for his real-time reports posted to the site. Very cool dude! We gotta do that more. Awesome idea!

And to Augy and John... the fierce game faces were on. I think it's both of you guys and your enthusiasm that make these outings really go. John told me back at the bar afterwards how much he loves Deep Lake. Hearing that always gives me goose bumps. Really glad to have you both as part of the site!

As for the fishing report...

Temps in the low 60's to upper 70's as the day went on. High, bright and hot sun, winds mostly NE 5-10mph but constantly shifting ever so slightly. We all fished from about 5:40am to 1pm.

Fishinmatt and I started with a counter-clockwise route around the lake from the launch. Matt was working buzzbaits and I was working 5" texas rigged Senko's in dark/green colors. I quickly picked up a 13" bass that did not qualify (14" minimum). Matt had a nice blow up on the buzz bait but it hit short. Matt then picked up a couple of nice 17 inchers on a wacky-rigged Yum Dinger. We both also missed some REAL nice fish. Matt also had a bunch of smaller bass on the same bait - a 3" Yum Dinger with a chartreuse tail. I finally rigged up a 7" Berkely Power Worm with a red twister tail - Texas rigged and that landed to 19" bass and one other. I also got a keeper bass on a wacky rigged purple flaked Yum Dinger.

Working the weed edges seemed to be the key. They weren't necessarily deep, but in about 8 feet of water on the edges.

All in all it was a really nice time. Not a great typical Deep Lake bite today and almost no topwater action.

Again, thanks to EVERYONE for a really awesome time!

Here's a pic of one of Fishinmatt's 17" inch bass.

#15 ·
What can I say :!: Aris, can I please borrow your Skunk avatar :?: It was a rough day for the "Fat Kid" between fiddling around with my trolling motor and trying to maintain some kind of boat control, it made for a somewhat stressful outing. Not that I'm making excuses, I am. Although I got the skunk for the tourney, I did catch my first crappie ever. At least I caught something.

It was great to get out there with all of you. This was my 1st time @ Deep Lake. Now that I have some idea of what its like, I know I'll do better next time. So Jason, watch your ass (but not like how you have to watch your ass around Augy) :!:

To add insult to injury, not only did Augy and I get "The Skunk", Augy wound up breaking a chair @ the bar and I almost fell head first into the water while unloading @ the dock.

P.S. Dearest Clancy, please post a detailed, animated, and illustrated diagram on how to rig the super secret tri-sluggo.

#17 ·
It was indeed a great day to be out on the water with a great bunch of guys from the site. We couldn't have asked for better weather. I was exhausted yesterday after getting up at 2:30 am, but it was well worth it. :D

Culprit and I caught a good number of fish, but many were less than 14", so they didn't qualify. All of the fish in our boat were caught on either crankbaits fished along the weed edges or Senkos/Yum Dingers fished weightless over the weeds.

We all had a few laughs, like BigAl mentioned. The best one being Augy breaking the chair in the bar afterwards. :lol: I can't wait until the next tourney.

#18 ·
seriously, it was a rough day for baefish and i. we both got maybe an hour of sleep tops. we stuck to our gameplan which was to pick off some of the big bass i had located in the previous months in the shallows. the fish were there but they just wouldn't even look at anything. we wasted a good portion of the morning bite chasing down fish with lockjaw. finally we headed over to some weed edge dropoffs and had some action but all my hits broke off. just that kind of day for me i guess. couldn't hookup for shit!!! in total lost about 5-6 fish. arrrrrgh! it happens i guess.

got one 13.5 incher that just missed qualifying. talk about adding insult to injury!!!! we never gave up and fished hard right to the end. baefish finally connected with a decent 17 incher right in front of jack's that would of placed him above "skunk" but alas, it was 5 minutes too late.

had a blast nonetheless! love fishing with you guys!!!!! it's pure joy to fish with a bunch of first class anglers and an honor.

fishinmatt, great to finally meet in person. it took awhile but i always had a feeling you would be cool headed and a fishing maniac! i'm sure there will be many more outings in the future.

to everyone that came out a big applause! you guys really do make this site a wonderful place to hang out. until next time gentlemen!!

congrats to Jason on a nice come from behind victory and aris for his big fish! good job guys!!!

and thanks clancy for that awesome live reports back to base for all to follow. that was awesome. too bad i didn't see my name up at all.
btw, aris, i need to borrow your skunk avatar too!!!! lol :oops:

#20 ·
Thanx for the great tourny guys ! Great job on the come from behind victory Jay ! Nice meeting everyone and especially FishinMatt who had to drive a pretty long way to fish with us.

Doc and I started off with problems as my trolling motor fell apart right off the start and it was hard for us to keep any kind of position on the boat :x
We caught lots of fish but unfortunatly most were just short of the keeper mark,we had some luck fishing medium diving cranks along the deep weededges which landed me the 4.6lber which was followed by another big bass all the way to the boat, also lost about a 3lb fish right before my big one as he threw my crank and even caught a perch lol the rest of the fish we got using senkos in the thick weeds which got Doc his 3lber which ended up burying himself in the weeds but somehow Doc pulled it out :)

#23 ·
indeed, a great time was had. nice meeting all you guys - i hope we do this again real soon.

thumbs up to culprit and jason, on paper you guys were awesome.

thanks for the tow tony/matt, without that i would surely have missed my only 17"er (1:04!) which didn't get me any points but got me unskunked.

aug, good job, we tried hard, and as always it was fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.