Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paddled around the lagoons for a few hrs this afternoon 3-730. The water is coated with the fuzzies from the cottonwood trees, making you clean your line and flies/lures nearly every cast. Wind was managable and gusty at times, water was heavily stained green with maybe a foot of visibility. Kinda weird today, every place you would suspect to find fish was totally devoid. Found a few crappie here and there, but no more than one fish per spot. Average fish was about 10".
Talked to a couple people in other boats casting to bass, two guys in a jon boat weren't having much luck, and another guy i've seen there before caught a couple. Concensus from shore to boat was ssslllooowwwwww....... Dunno if its normal out there, but all the fish had practically no color at all, very washed out and the SLIMIEST fish i've ever handled!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
ah were you in a blue kayak? i think i saw you casting flies if that was you.. i was in the blue fiberglass boat.. i caught 2 real small bass around 8 inches each, one on buzzbait, one on spinnerbait, and 1 nice bass.. 18 inch female, full of eggs, with a buzzbait.. also caught a decent crappie on a spinnerbait.. but yeah it was slower than usual.. such nice weather too!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, that was me ! Just a bit south of the boat ramp right ? You had a white hat on?

Found the crappie holding pretty deep off structure, but they were taking their time hitting flies. Beats the skunk though!

·
Registered
299 Posts
yeah i had the white bass pro hat on.. that channel that i passed you by in looks so good with all the laydowns and overhanging trees! i've only started fishing from a boat this season and i've probably been to the lagoons about 5-7 times.. usually after work til dawn.. so far ive had the best luck on the other side (north) of tower road.. in both numbers and size.. but those laydowns and overhanging trees in that channel always keep me coming back for more

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know what ya mean - a ton of very fishy water and structure all over the place! You'd think it wad loaded. I'll have to try further north again, only been up that way once and never saw another person in the entire "backwater" channels.

You can be on the water legally till dawn?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.