Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishing at Deep yesterday (Sunday) wasn't easy.

Blustery winds under a bright blue sky day made athletic rowers out of everyone, except me.

With my newly purchased 30 year old Johnson 4 HP motor, my trips were fast and fun. Motor started easily. I've never hopped around so much at Deep Lake in the past. The motor almost looks brand new and was well kept. And like the previous owner said, it's almost weedless.

I tested the weedless part going through the minor weeds in the SW corner of the lake and the motor was fine. Amazing.

Yes, I caught a big "fish" yesterday, but it was my 22 year old daughter.

My only goal for yesterday was to help Claire catch her first bass, and I succeeded. In the SW corner by the deeper weedline, she caught a 10" bass. Of course, we let them go.

But what's amazing is that I gave Claire my worming Fedwick rod that had never caught a fish and rigged her line with a Mister Twister Keeper Hook and a red/greenish 6 inch plastic worm. She fished it all day long.

Along the western shore of the north bay you have the sandbar. Extending south of the sandbar to the point you have 100-200 yards of weedline until you get to the point.

It was along this point that we had seen another fisherman accidentally catch a 2-3 pound bass. He left his rod unattended, shouted at his dad, set the hook, and reeled in the fish.

We went back to that area and Claire fished the weedline with her Texas style rig, feeling the hits. At one point I saw her rod bending, she said she had a fish, I reached for the net.

Claire dipped the rod towards the bass fearing the rod might break. You guessed it, a 2-3 pound bass came to the surface just near the boat, shook his head, and he was gone.

I told Claire to keep pressure on the bass and not to worry about a rod breaking. If a rod breaks, you have a great fish story to tell.

But after losing that fish, I'd tell Claire, let's try another spot and she would say:

"Just one more cast Dad. Just one more cast."

So like I said friends, I caught a "big one" yesterday: my daughter.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Great story Rich. Sounds like a great fishing partner you got there. And glad the motor worked out for you too. I was looking at a little weedless johnson off craiglist recently. Seemed like a sweet little motor.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I purchased my used motor off Craig's List.

I found the freshest, most recent ads. Called right away. The owner was from Bartlett and designs motors for a living. He once worked for Mercury's outboard division.

It took 3 pulls to start the motor, he said he had it rebuilt, I paid full price.

The prop is on a slight angle with a bit of protection against weeds. Next time at Deep Lake I'm giving the motor the lily pad test.

$400 for a 30 year old 4HP Johnson outboard. That's where part of my "tax rebate check" went.

·
Registered
959 Posts
That's an excellent post. Getting a kid hooked on fishing is what it's all about. I can't wait until my son is old enough to take fishing. Congrats on your "big catch". :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.