Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8:30-10am, overcast, 75*, west winds. Nothin. At all. Did meet up with the 'dead pecker club' a threesome of older gentlemen who fish Opeka all the time. They raved about the lake, but not about the DPPD. They got skunked too. But the did share about good size Northern and Bass as well as carp and crappie. So there are fish in there to be had. Just not this morning.

Also went out for a bit around 3pm and got nothin again. Same conditions but a little sunshine.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
west winds and no fish. that's tough. hope the early start gives us a better chance tomorrow at beck.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Opeka seems to be like that: east winds = fish; west winds = no fish. There are other variables but by and large the best fishing I've had there has been in n/ne winds. Come to think of it, the best fishing or at least the biggest fish I've gotten here or up north have been in east winds and sunny skies! I am not sure I buy into the saying 'winds from the west the bitin's the best'. Just doesn't seem to pan out that way for me.

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
I've had similar situations at Axehead Lake and the Northshore Channel. I actually PREFER a light north wind at Axehead and - gulp - an EAST wind when fishing the NSC.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The best so far seems to be a slightly strong ne wind. But then again, tonight from 8-9:20pm there was very light north winds. About six casts into it, after switching to a black senko, bam, I get a nice LM on. Wrestle her in, she shoots about ten feet out straight, jumps and throws the senko, and splashes down like I've never heard before, more a 'thump' onto the water surface! We're talking big dog, probably 3+lb'er again. But the funny thing is, I pull in the senko and it looks like I had just rigged it up! I mean, like no fish on or nothing! I have no idea how I could have wrestled that gal in and not even harmed the senko let alone not set the hook (though I thought I had!). Go figure. Anyway, spent the rest of the night chasin her down to no avail but did get a 16.5" LM that was missing half an upper lip :shock:

And oddly enough, these big dogs are not coming from the 'past the fence' spot on the south. Which surprises me......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts