Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished the southern end of Busse and thought I was gonna get skunked. I was about to leave when I caught a smallmouth on what I said was gonna be my last cast of the day. Half an hour later, caught another sm, both on green Yum dinger. I got to try out my new tournament frog with success. I could never find a chartruse one (probably sold out) , only the dark green ones. I caught a lm on the frog and got a big bite but tried setting the hook too early. I think it was was a northern, but looked like an walleye in the water???? I never heard of walleyes going for frogs or hanging around the weed beds, so I'm assuming it was a pike. I got a little over-excited because I never caught a northern in Illinois. It feels good to catch a couple of bass, even if they were on the small side, after getting skunked lately. Anyone know what the walleye situation is at Busse? A guy over by the fishing wall caught one that looked pretty diseased or mutilated. It's a shame, because it hurts the fish and takes away from everyone else's chances of catching a big fish and making their day.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
there's a strain of walleye that like to hangout in weeds so it is very possible. Sometimes weeds are the only kind of "cover" around.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I never knew busse had smallmouth.
R u sure it was a smallmouth ?

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Busse does not have smallmouth bass. You most certainly caught largemouth bass.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. Thanks for clarification. Anyone know what boat rental costs at Busse? I've seen some other posts that have pretty high rates. Also, anyone know if you can bring an inflatable with a trolling moter. I guess you can't have inflatables on Beck Lake. Is this a CCFPD rule or is does it depend on the body of water?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Busse has a good walleye population, not many pike and no smallies (i wish they had them tho).

Just like beck they are there, and most people dont do well there so I think they have some bigguns lurking, more than we know.

Yes, walleye will hang in the weeds, took me awhile to get this thru my thick skull also. No inflatables on Busse.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Yep, CCFPD rule no inflatables, this, as Jason clarified in another thread, extend even to the mighty DesPlaines river. But frankly, I've fished Busse from a boat and unless you get one to fish other lakes than CCFPD lakes, I wouldn't waste the money, you can fish most any good spot from shore at these lakes IMHO. I fished a lot from a canoe last season and was skunked almost every time anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts