Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me, Eric (Edai), Jason, and Augy got out to Deep lake this morning at around 5:45am and fished (Me/Eric till about 12pm and Jason/Augy till about 10:30am), it was mostly sunny then turned partly cloudy, SW and later a W breeze, and I'm guessing mid 80's for most of the time.

Jason and Augy fished I believe the western shoreline and hooked into a few 12 inchers off of topwater skitterpops (correct me if I'm mistaken) and Eric and I went down and fished the south shoreline and we came up with 3 fish in the 3 lb range (Eric with a 17.5" & 18.5" and I got a 19") all off of 5" Green Pumpkin senkos fished texas-rigged and weightless. We landed 3 other fish -- a dink, 12"er and a 14"er all off the green pumpkin senko as well. We tried fishing all over the lake as well -- but we didn't have much luck.

Congratulations to Eric who caught the two biggest bass of his life! Here's his 17.5"

Here's my 19"

We actually had 3 fish that were deeply hooked (while fishing the senkos) because the bite was very subtle. Seemed like the fish would just swallow the senko whole on the fall, not move and just chill there swallowing. We were able to unhook and safely release 2 of the 3. I tried everything in my own power to safely unhook one of the fish and revive it but it didn't make it. Man, I can hardly remember the last time I killed a bass but it was honestly the worst feeling in the world. Me and Eric were talking about maybe wacky rigging the senkos next time w/ circle hooks (the fish seem to strike them on the fall anyway not while they're twitched) and this way hopefully we'll be able to unhook and release all the fish safely. Fortunately it was legal to take fish out of Deep Lake + Eric's inlaws happily took the fish to eat.

On a side note, I was thinking and realized that all of this awesome fishing today couldn't have been possible w/o Windycityfishing.com, i freakin love this site! Thanks Jason and everybody on here for all the reports -- especially from Eric who caught the 2 biggest bass of his life.

Haha, here's a picture of Augy/Jason towing our boat to another spot on the lake using Aris's motor.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Nice job guys !!!
Those r some sweet fish.
The south part of that lake is lunker heavan.
Even though i couldnt go atleast my motor did.
lol

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
no problem bud!
Damn,now I`m dyin to go. lol

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
hey ,I just seen Erics pm just now.
I did have another motor to lend out,sorry bout that guys.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey it's all good, it wasn't nearly as hot (or it didn't feel too hot) as the news said it was gona be, I think it was b/c of the constant western-breeze. Hey man, I'd have rowed hours and hours to catch that one i pulled out today.

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Hey guys...

SO happy you got on some VERY nice fish at Deep Lake. I've been fishing there since 1978 and it's always something to look forward to.

I was telling Augy how pleased I am to be sharing my fishing experiences with new people/friends via my own website - windycityfising.com.

Thanks for coming today Tim and Eric. Looking forward to many more great fishing outings!

And Aris... thinaks SO MUCH for letting us borrow the motor. Hopefully I can get out next weekend and meet ya, and get on some good fish. Thanks again!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jason, the two biggest bass I pulled out of the water this summer was one 18" from the Glen and then this 19" from Deep Lake. The first one from the Glen I caught only b/c I read the reports on the message board about fishing just south of the southern most pier, and I wouldn't have ever known about Deep Lake if it weren't for this site as well. Seriously, it's such a great site cuz there aren't too many people on here and the reports are much more real -- compared to those sites with 7000 users or whatever. Go windycity!

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
All I can say is, good job Tim and Eric. Those are some awesome fish. Congrats Eric on your biggest bass to date! That's too cool! The smile on your face says it all. Ear to ear. :mrgreen: <--- you

Tim, don't worry too much about that bass. It's a sad fact and some may argue, but it's a risk we take to be a part of the sport. You may want to think about going barbless. :wink:

Aris, dude, you the man. That little 1955 outboard absolutely ROCKS! We couldn't believe how smooth and quiet it pushed us along the entire lake.

Jay and I didn't catch much but with that outboard, we did a little exploring and were able to find some good spots for the next outing at deep.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Tim, Here's your 3# 19" catch served up on tonight's dinner table:

As we had anticipated, the fish wasn't THAT tasty despite the hard work put into its preparation by the chef. I suppose there is a good reason why LM aren't farmed/raised and sold for consumer consumption. :D We'll definitely have to learn wacky riggin' in the future so that we won't have to take another one of these poor fish out of the waters again.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I've been reading online about circle hooks, they basically set themselves and are less likely to be deep hooked. but they are more prone to snag in heavy cover. I'm gonna see how they work later today...

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah, Eric... man it looks like whoever cooked that fish did a great job, hope it tasted as good as it looks! It still kind of gets to me that I lost that fish.. but I'm glad that you guys made better use of it then me who wouldda just tossed it... or maybe given it a burial ceremony, heh.

Topwater, I've tried using circle hooks only a few occasions though while wacky-rigging dingers. I didn't hook into too many weeds b/c the bait falls horizontally w/ its hook up usually... BUT I did read about one tip, before hooking up the senko (or dinger, etc...) you take a thin cross section of a diff. plastic worm or something, hook it up and slide it up, then you hook the dinger/senko or whatever, then use the thin cross-section of the worm as a weedguard by hooking it onto the tip. I haven't tried it out though... and I still got to try out those Bass Pro "Stick-O's" but I've been reading lots of reviews and for the most part there's pretty good feedback on them (even so, I think I'm going to put aside senkos and stick w/ Stick-O's and Dingers for a while b/c I am a college student and I'm willing to sacrifice that little bit of quality for price. 20 for $5? Too good to pass up + they do have lots of good colors)

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
My pleasure borrowing u guys the motor making ur fishing just a lil bit easier.
Look forward to hookin up with u Jay.
Maybe we can get a few people and do a lil tourney :D

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Nice job guys! Great report, I also noticed that more so this summer, with the bass swallowing the plastics. They definitely arent hitting in true LMB fashion more like walleye hits. Must be too hot for them.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm back well i was never really gone just busy working and saving money for the family vacation. We went to wisconsin dells talk about a money pit. :oops: but on a better note i plan in doing some fishing this weekend. u can maybe, possibly, definetly, almost count me in this weekend about 85%

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Tony! Great to hear from ya! We'd love to have ya come on Saturday. Give me a call and you can ride with me if you want.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
You guys are crazy gettin up at my bedtime to go catch some fish :lol:
Nice job on the big largie I do believe I'm gonna have to make it out that way sometime.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Hey hey...Tony. Good to have you back man. So did you catch anything up in the Dells? It is a nice place tho.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts