Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shoreline N: 7:30-8:45pm, calm, hot hot hot, tossed senkos, watermelon/cream brought in a nice 16", gullet hooked. Man I hate that. Tried my trusty new .99cent hook remover without success. Blood going everywhere. Released him hook and all and he took off. I gotta get a good pair of wire cutters that can reach down in there to at least snip the hooks off, maybe that'll improve their odds of survival. Two other nice hits but I missed em.

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Hey Tim...

I'm thinking of hitting Opeka Monday or Tuesday evening. Let me know if you're planning on being there.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Monday I could/should be there. Tuesday I'm working.....if you can do monday, how early can you get there? If early enough maybe we could hook up and take the boat out?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hey topwater, I was thinking the same thing -- carrying around wire cutters and just cutting the line, then cutting the hook (at the barb/tip or maybe just in half and pulling it out from each end). Tell me how it goes if you try it out.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanfully no need for gullet surgery today. I have bent the barbs down on the offset hooks though, at least while its hot and they're sucking the bait down. At least that way I have a btter chance of getting them unhooked. Circle hooks didn't work out for me today, so I think I'll keep with the offsets, just without a barb. I usually don't lose a fish on a direct tied hook anyway.

Cheeks: I am out almost every night for about an hour before sunset...stop by the fat guy sitting on an orange bucket on the south or north ends.

Jason: Maybe we can plan on thursday or friday anytime, tomorrow is gonna be blistering hot, and though I got a decent one today while out there, there weren't nearly the bumps there have been on cooler days. But if your up for it Monday evening I game....

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
I think we should shoot for an evening outing later this week when it's a bit cooler.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds good Jason. Cheeks, I MAY be out tonight on shore up around the docks after 7:30pm, but thats a big MAYBE! In fact, as I think more about it I don't think I will. It's just too hot!!!! But thursday or friday if temps back off a bit I will for sure be out there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts