Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Second time out to IG. Fished from 8:30 to 12:00. Hot, humid and overcast with a couple of drops early after rain before sun up.

I threw plastics the first couple of hours with very little interest. I was getting fairly discouraged.

The guy next to me suggested putting a bluegill under a bobber. I am not sure if this quite as sporty as artificials. I got some huge bites and landed a large mouth that was the biggest bass I ever got. [/code]

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
I think jbasser is right. That sucks because those bass are pressured and that is probably there main summer forage. I know a few guys who use big roaches for bait out their with good action. That may be an alternative bait to consider.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I have those swimbaits in the LMB and SMB patterns. I don't think that IG is the best place to use them due to the amount of weeds there and the fact that you will probably end up losing a $20 lure. Deep lake would be a better place for them. IMHO.

·
Administrator
5,370 Posts
Way to get on that bass, Mike. But unfortunately that catch-and-release rule would apply in this situation. Don't sweat it though as now ya know.

Like Matt says a large roach under a bobber might do the trick. I think its less about trying to imitate the bluegill and more about it "being" a bluegill/live bait.

And like svslider says, stop somewhere before and catch a few small gills and bring em there. That might also be a gray area in terms of regulations - not exactly sure. But at least now you are on a path to figuring out the feeding patterns of the bass there.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to give this Storm Wild Eye a try next time out.

http://www.stormlures.com/products/lure ... soft_lures

Interestingly, this is the interpretation's of catch and release from the LCFP Independence Grove website:

"Catch-and-release
We encourage you to release bass or other predator fish you do not intend on keeping. They help keep panfish populations in balance with the lake. Catch-and-release is required at Independence Grove."

·
Registered
11 Posts
Matt is right roaches work great the bigger the better. IG is a great lake to wet a line for all kind of fish bass, cats, perch, gills, crappie, the walleye are a tough find but if you put in the time to find them there are some nice ones to be had. Havn't had the plasure of landing any pike or ski but have had my power pro 12lb and 12lb mono just snapped more then once and I mean just that slip bobber down a 2-3 second tug and as soon as I get some pussure it just snapped like a knife cutting my line. I use roaches because thats what I have most success with but anything rigged weedless will work just fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.