Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Got out for a wade and fished from 530 and went later until 10pm. Waded and fished a few areas such as a bridge area, a stretch of deep riffles, and then my night-time Walleye hole.

One Pike and one Crappie came from the bridge area, both fish on jig/plastic. I swear to God that this is the same Pike I've pulled 3 times from beneath this bridge now this summer!!!!

After about 45mins to an hour and numerous lost jigs due to snags at the bridge area, I moved on to the next area, the deep riffles.

I unexpectedly met up with my friend Tim and we fished there for about 30mins before he had to leave. We were doing some complaining on how we never catch Walleyes from here anymore, that they're either elsewhere, dying off, or not making it upstream towards us. Other than some dialogue on this related subject, zero catching was done, but all talking.

It was approximately 8pm by the time I reached my concluding evening and night-time destination, my walleye hole that is located in the middle of nowhere in which not a single person would be able to find with the best vision during broad daylight.

Not much action was had until it grew darker and darker out.

When it gets dark out, I mean really dark, I will only use one lure out here and it's an F9 Rapala of any color. Everything else, I say hell with it!

I began with a purple/whateverthahellcoloritis Rapala and after several casts, I had a bite-off from something - don't know what it was. Down goes another $7 into the pisser!

I tied up a new one and this time it was an F9 in black/silver. First cast and I got this little guy which ironically is now my largest Pike of the year from here... Been catching more snakes than ever out here this year.

After the Pike, I kept on with keeping on with the black/silver F9 and I began either getting more hits which came from weak fish that I couldn't get the hooks buried into, or was running into large fish that were getting snagged... Kind of like this guy below:

Keep in mind that for these fish above, I used my rinky-dink medium-lite rod and reel.

I honestly thought this 8lb Mirror was a Walleye. It displayed very similar tendencies during the fight in which it was snagged - I felt the shakes, the fish was hugging bottom and when it surfaced it was splashing and rolling over.

After my 5-minute tussle with the Carp, it was close to 915 and I grabbed my other rod that had another Rapala clipped on. Rather than use the natural colors which I have up until this point been using for 100% of the time, I decided to go with a swimming fire-hydrant. Orange.

Ten quick casts passed by in which I was burning and ripping the lure through marginal current and hard bottom. As I kept with it, something of desirable size finally hit! It was a damn good fish and when I turned on the head-lamp, I saw exactly what I wanted to see and was anticipating.

The glowing eyes!!!!!

It was 9:25pm, right about the time as the moon was in the process of cresting over the tree-line.

After a nice fight in which the fish stayed on the surface, pulling drag, I had to perform some in-the-water surgery on the fish as I couldn't get the rear trebles out of her mouth. It also did not help that my mommy was trying to reach me on the cell, asking where the hell I was and what was I doing so late at night... "ANDREW, IT'S LATE! WHERE THE HECK ARE YOU!!??!!"... "Ma, I just caught a huge Walleye and I can't talk right now!"

That didn't help!

The hook removal process this time around was so painstakingly slow and worrisome compared to the other fish of this caliber I have caught in the past. I had thoughts rotating in my head and imagining what I would do if this fish were not able to make it to see another day, live another year, grow another inch or two to reach pure trophy proportions, or eat another threadfin shad. I WAS GOING TO FREAK OUT! But I was also trying to think of the taxidermists whom I know within this region, just in-case . . . . . . . NONE!

I thought the fish was going to croak due to all of this unneeded stress I was giving her while I was trying and struggling to get the hooks out of her mouth. If this was middle of the day in 90-degree heat, it would have died without any doubts whatsoever.

If the worst was going to come, I would have taken it to some taxidermist. I was prepared to do so until my senses finally came to me.

I eventually decided hell with the well-being of this lure, so I grabbed the hook-cutters and cut the trebles off and basically destroyed the lure during this process. There, problem solved!!

With fish in the water and nearly revived to swim away, I took a quick snap-shot for documentation.

After all was done, the guesstimated 24-25inch female fish was ready to go back into its lair to feast on fish that are hopefully actually real this time around, and not made out of balsa.

After reviving her in the middle of the slow marginal current which was in this area (more oxygen), I felt her muscles finally relax and contract, saw the gill plates finally moving again with tail wagging, and quickly checked down her throat to see if I lacerated anything. Everything was there in place and she was in great shape with regaining strength.

All was good and off she went, back into her lair. I didn't have to freak out anymore.

Such beautiful creatures.

After the fish, and exhausted and relieved as I was, I kept casting for others. I caught nothing more and left at 10pm.

Tonight was just one of those moments. You want the fish to keep on keeping on! You feel for the fish when you see it struggling due to your mistakes but in the end, the good happened.

FYI, the fishing has been really bad here for the past 2 months up until this point.

2 Northern Pike
1 Walleye (24-25")
1 Crappie
1 Mirror Carp

5,361 Posts
Nicely done Andrew. That walleye is a beauty!

And don't worry about the outings. That isn't what WCF is all about. The site is for sharing knowledge and fishing experiences - exactly what you do.

655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
#1cubsfan said:
so when do you finally plan on joining one of our outings like you said you would this year. :?
Depends on many variables:

- whenever I'm home on the scheduled weekends (haven't been around for one yet this summer) - sorry for having too many obligations.

- whenever I bring home my spare 6-horse kicker from my garage in WI

- whenever I'm not in WI and 350 miles away, or "out of town" during the scheduled events

- whenever I'm in the mood to receive an ass-whoopin' by the entire forum membership. :p

Other than that, which really has no importance or relevancy to the report, post, and topic, thanks guys!

But in all honesty, do any of you know any decent taxidermists in the area? Western burbs?
One of these days, I know a fish like this will croak on me......

655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The common name, "walleye," comes from the fact that their eyes, like those of cats, reflect light. This eyeshine is the result of a light-gathering layer in the eyes called the tapetum lucidum which allows the fish to see well in low-light conditions. In fact, many anglers look for walleyes at night since this is when most major feeding patterns occur. Their eyes also allow them to see well in turbid waters (stained or rough, breaking waters) which gives them an advantage over their prey. Thus, walleye anglers will commonly look for days and locations where there is a good "walleye chop" (i.e., rough water). This excellent vision also allows the fish to populate the deeper regions in a lake and can often be found in deeper water. This also means that since they live and spawn in mostly in shallow waters, they can see onto or near the shore for disturbances in the water such as humans.
Pretty cool, huh? 8)
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.