Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to lake arlington about 6:30 tried the northwest finger till about 7 with a senko and black buzzbait, not a darn thing not even a bite. My guess is that darn flock of ducks scared everything away. Headed over to the southwest finger on the northside and threw my buzzbait, after about 2 throws saw a bass explode on it but miss! 2 casts later and another explosion, hooked him this time, about 17". about 5 mins later another bass exploded, on it and landed him, about 15". Got one more but right as he got to shore he shook the buzz bait loose. What a feeling, everthing was just going right, Baitcaster worked flawlessly, only had an hour and landed 2 nice fish. Oh, this was my first time EVER catching anything on a Topwater, and wow is it freaking awesome!!! Only left cause on my last cast my buzz bait hooked some brush and when I went to cast it went, with out my line.. Aghhhh.. OH well leave on a high note!

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Dan your on a roll..well done

"Oh, this was my first time EVER catching anything on a Topwater"

I grew up on topwater baits...(jitter bugs they were)...nothing better...lol

With a good blowup you can always "follow up" with a big fat senko... :lol:
or a creature bait or a jig&pig ...in the same spot as the blowup. The Bass will not move much after the blowup ..Gets'em most times..give it a try :wink:

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
You're on a roll my friend! And to think I was "this close" to going to Lake Arlington this evening!

Way to go, Danno!

·
Registered
65 Posts
You and me both, Jason. Conditions looked good for Arlington. I've had a lot of success lately there throwing search baits like buzz baits and spinners. Then after an explosion or two (and changing my shorts) I toss the Senkos and the fish follow in rapid succession. It's enough to make man leave his home and stand next to the water all day. (Wait a minute. I already do that.)

·
Registered
107 Posts
nice fish... topwater is my favorite way to catch fish, glad u got to experience the thrill.

if u want more topwater action i have always had great luck under the main dam at busse under low-light conditions with buzzbaits...there have to be at least 20 2 pounders under the dam at any time and buzzbaits have always been the best way to get em there for me

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmmm, busse sounds like a good idea. Gotta convice the wife im on a roll and must keep going. I thought about tossing a senko after the first explosion cause i thought for sure they wouldnt hit the buzzbait again, but the bass hit it again.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Way to go danno!

I love topwater baits so much. Even if a fish hits and misses the lure I get excited from the action.

My favorite topwater is the floating jointed rapala. With those the goal is to work them as slow as possible. The slow speed is great because if the fish misses, it will often still go after the lure on the same cast. Plus the rapalas have two treble hooks which seems to improve the chances of possible hookups.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Nice job! I went out there today from 9-10:30 AM and got skunked. I think a trip to "big bendy" is in order this evening!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.