Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get to fish much these days (maybe twice a month), but I had to take advantage of the nice weather we got on Saturday.

Hit up Deep Lake starting around 6:30am and headed north. The weed growth and location were quite different than the last time I was there, which was a month ago. I tried to fish the same areas I did well that time, but the fish were just not as aggressive. I think the drop in temperatures between Friday and Saturday really slowed the fishing. Started out fishing with a Yum Dinger. I caught my first bass on the third cast, but didn't get another bite for the next hour. Caught my second bass around 8:00 and decided it might be best to switch tactics after I went another 40 minutes after that without a bite. Switched over to a drop shot rig with a 4" Chompers drop shot finesse worm. Started moving down the western shoreline and over the next hour or so picked up two more bass.

Decided to move again and headed for the southwest cove near the small beach. Didn't get anything inside the weedline with the Dinger so went to the outside of the weedline and used the drop shot again. Got a fish on pretty quick, but it made a quick run and broke the line. The way it fought and snapped the line I know it was a pike. It didn't feel big, but I would bet anything it was a pike.

At about 10:30 I decided it might be time to call it quits. As I was heading back towards Jack and Lydia's I decided it was too early to quit so I headed to the point, anchored near the drop off, and picked up the drop shot again. Spent the next hour and a half fishing this area and ended up getting two more smallish bass and a 26" pike. Also had another bass on, but it spit the hook before I could get to it. So it ended up being a good idea to keep fishing a little longer.

None of the six bass I caught were big. They ranged from 10" to 14", but the pike was a nice addition to the day. Nothing like catching a decent pike on 6 pound test. Sorry, no pictures. The only picture worthy fish was the pike, but after it got itself tangled in the net it took me longer to free it and I didn't want to have it out the water any more than it needed to be.

So final tally for the day was 7 fish caught and a couple more lost in 5 1/2 hours. Decent day, but I have had better ones at Deep. Hopefully next time I can get into the big ones.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I like the detailed description of your tactics matt. Always useful info.
Im sure it was a nice closer catching that pike. Theres alwasy time for "one more cast" :wink:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Still a fun day dude :)

Good job on changing tactics to find some fish .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.