Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not all in one day, I'm no marathon runner. Been busy to pop these up. Got out Monday afternoon, 8/22, post weekend rains. Falling, ~300cf/s and 7.75' out of Plainfield. Water felt nice and cool. Clarity not bad at all, tons of floating weeds and just terribly heavy grass growth. Pretty garbage bite overall. Topwater nearly useless, t-rigged craws worked but the bite wasn't hot. Perhaps they fed heavily during the high water. Worked up to a bridge and found a hot bite. One side of a pillar had a large amount of debris piled up breaking the current. Cast up to the head and in the current and immediately snagged grass with topwater. I'll let my fouled topwater float out of the target zone before reeling it in to minimize spooking the fish. I had looked away and nearly had my rod ripped out of my hand. One had ate the topwater fouled up and came to my feet with about a dozen other smallies with him. Proceeded to catch nearly the whole school with the topwater in the exact same spot or just inside the current where less grass was floating. That usually does not happen, I think I got 8 or 9 fish. Threw the craw in there about half way through the flurry of action and it was ignored.

Fished the lower Wisconsin River the weekend of the 20th. Flow was ~10kcf/s measured out of Muscoda which is good for floating and not having to paddle if you don't want to. Just an overnighter, 8 mile float, with a decent size crew to float and camp on sandbars. Been awhile since I've done this. Bite was kind of weak but most good looking spots held fish. Nothing of size was caught. I drank more beers than fish caught so was it a win or a loss? Got a pair of these Saugers or Saugeyes. Still not sure exactly what they are, maybe someone knows. We caught smallies, walleye, channel catfish, drum, and the aforementioned Saug____ fish.

Typical cigar

Fished the Kank a week prior to the Wisconsin. Don't remember what the flow was but it was low and clear, I think around 1000cf/s out of Wilmington. Finally got on a topwater bite out there. The first one absolutely hammered it with a loud splash. For whatever reason, it sticks with me as it got my heart pounding and I've caught probably a thousand topwater smallies. I had to take a moment to calm down after lol, it was quite a fight after the bowling ball fell into the water. It was decent size but no monster, maybe 18". I've said it before but the current of the Kank makes those smallies feel much bigger than they are. Proceeded to really run with the topwater and got several more. A lot were relating to a shallow midriver rock bar with larger, broken chunk rock with soft current. Had two gar on briefly, one I initially thought was piece of grass on my topwater so it kind of just popped off. The other on a swimbait. Craw thrown up to the head of riffles and drifted down got several as well.

Thanks for reading this novel :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just read saugeye have a white tip on their tail like a walleye, so those look to be saugers. Very dark though. Pretty cool looking!
That way would be too easy, lol. All the results I found said to look at the dorsal fin. Did find this thread just now. One poster says the white tip on the saugeye is not definitive but often present. Looks like mine are definitely saugers, but yes, very dark.

SaugEyes and 15″ - Mississippi River – Walleye | In-Depth Outdoors

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Looks like it was some great outings. Drank more beer than fish caught or caught more fish than beer drank- downside to either? Nope, beats being locked up at work any time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts