Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the Glen from about 6:40 to 7:30 and worked the South finger.

I found an old Johnson Silver Minnow cleaning out my folks garage-about 2 1/2" long.

Threw it w/o a trailer all in and around the lilies. Walked towards the bridge and threw it in a clear pocket and was slammed by a LM beast. He took line for about 30 seconds until I turned him around. Got him w/in 2 feet of the ledge and he just came off. No jump, no thick weeds just came off.

It would have been an Illinois PB for me I'm certain. It looked to be at least 4 fingers across the shoulders.

Was fun, wish I'd landed it and had he photo but was exciting and encouraging nonetheless.

Going to the basement to sharpen that hook-LOL

Good luck to all.

·
Registered
341 Posts
That's one of only a handful I remember as a kid in the 50's. Silver minnow, Lazy Ike, Daredevil, Jitterbug, Hula Popper,....
I think that Silver Minnow is still on the top 50 lures list.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
threeats407 said:
That's one of only a handful I remember as a kid in the 50's. Silver minnow, Lazy Ike, Daredevil, Jitterbug, Hula Popper,....
Yup, and they still work.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
threeats407 said:
X2. Still use them all - except maybe the Lazzy Ike. I inherited a box full of weedless Johnson Silver spoons from my wife's uncle. Great lure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey did you get that bass on Saturday? I think I ran into you that day and you were talking about the big bass that got away and you pointed to the spot where you hooked him by the lilipads. I think I was fishing the same spot and I told you that I had missed the hookset on one under the bridge earlier. Was that you? I think you even had the same lure tied on. BTW I got skunked on Saturday there.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Been fishing those silver minnows for years too, love them.

I actually just retired my original Jitterbug this weekend, stamped on the lip "Made in Akron, OH"... kind of figured it may be a collector item now. Can't even begin to count how many fish I caught with it over the years. Replaced in the tackle box with a new one, will see if it lives up to the name.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was me, I look more handsome online, I know-LOL I actually caught the fish on Thursday. Saturday was skunk city for me too.
td_bass said:
Hey did you get that bass on Saturday? I think I ran into you that day and you were talking about the big bass that got away and you pointed to the spot where you hooked him by the lilipads. I think I was fishing the same spot and I told you that I had missed the hookset on one under the bridge earlier. Was that you? I think you even had the same lure tied on. BTW I got skunked on Saturday there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.