Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Diversey Harbor with my father... We fished from 9 50 to about 11 50. I fished for carp and it really upsets me. You see them in the water and they just wont bite at all. I had a pole out there for carp with corn off the bottom and a night crawler under a bobber around 2 ft. My dad caught two perch and a few rock bass. I'm hoping to catch a carp out of the lakefront before the end of august.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Diversey is loaded with carp. I've seen a few people target them successfully...never really paid attention to what they were using though. It can be done...those are some huge carp.

·
Registered
95 Posts
keep after them dont give up. lake mich carp are huge and a blast to catch. I'm a avid carp fisherman and I research them alot. I 've learned that those carp you see are considered "cruisers" and are not actively feeding fish, so chances are they wont bite. its hard to do in deep water, but the most aggressive fish are "tailing" carp. they have their heads down and tails up feeding but it is a shallow water tactic. try chumming the area with corn and go to a hair rig if you are not already doing so. active fish will find the food and it will hold them. it can be a waiting game but it well worth the wait!! the info I just gave you came from barry renyolds book "carp on the fly" its got alot of good info in it.

Joe

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks i have never caught one before, i tried something diff tho. I took 4 split shots and put a small sinker in the middle and used the split shots to hold it. Someone told me to chop up strawbery and throw it in the water or try it as bait. i plan to catch one at least before the end of august. 15 pound test and a 6'6 ugly stik and fighting it the right way i should be able to bring it in.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Better luck next time infamouz... I'll try and get a video for you Next week You can catch the cruisers if you Use the harbor to your advantage.

George

:D

·
Registered
74 Posts
You should downsize your line 10 10llb, even 8lb. Carp get spooked very easily and 15lb line might be too big especially on the lake. I use 6 and 8lb in the river.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.