Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
kermit..... :mrgreen:

I like the Spro's, but they are expensive. Scum frogs are my absolute favorite. Green popper. The furbit's are absolutely incredible, but they are also expensive.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I have had average success with the scum frogs from Bass Pro Shops... Used to catch more of them back when I fished a lot more tournies, now I hardly frog fish at all... They did catch fish but then again frog fishing can be tough bite... - BPM

·
Registered
825 Posts
Rick,
Spro are my favorite frog. Love the hook and you can fling that thing a mile. Like the leopard pattern myself.

Scum Frog are good too but I always get the ones with the upgraded hooks, The old Horny Toad is a good way to go too.

By the way, you fish Mazonia very much? Good fishing.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Winnebasschamp said:
kermit..... :mrgreen:

I like the Spro's, but they are expensive. Scum frogs are my absolute favorite. Green popper. The furbit's are absolutely incredible, but they are also expensive.
I totally agree with the popper scum frogs. I just picked up 8 of them on ebay for the price of one spro frog. I like the new spro popping frog. I use the horny toad a lot when I start an area. Look for a pattern on a lilly pads and mats. Then I'll throw the frog around the area that got the most blow ups. Then I flip a carolina rig if I want to clean up.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I like the Spro Jr.'s

I learned a lil tip with those from watching TOO much MyOutdoorTV.Com:

Take a utility knife and cut a slit in the body of the frog directly underneath where the hook points stick out. This will help the frog body flex and allow a cleaner hookset. Careful not to cut too much and you will sink your bait every cast....

:wink:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I agree with TGE :D best fast moving weedless bait out there, for a slower aproach spro frog :)

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
I like the Bigfoot frog for open pockets. Lots of my bites seem to be on top of weed mats though, and that is not the ideal frog for that IMO. The hooks tend to get snagged up everytime I transition from open water to a weed mat. For that type of fishing its either the Spro or Scum Frog. I also have another model that is straight rubber, heavy as heck, and completely weedless. I don't know the brand as I bought it at a bait shop in Fremont several years ago.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Yes. I like the WWII version. Culprit had one at a tourney last year. Had to try them out, and was not disapointed. I credit it as the lure that got me into topwater fishing.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Another vote for the original spro.... That is, once I learned to pause before setting the hook.

·
Registered
428 Posts
thats easy the one thats in the fishes mouth

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have always been totally pro scum frog... but I ordered a spro, im gunna give it a shot since every one has said good things. I also ordered 3 more back up scum frogs tho :wink: .

The three scum frogs cost as much as the single spro :lol: .

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BigRick said:
Winnebasschamp said:
The furbit's are absolutely incredible, but they are also expensive.
Just picked up two of these and man are they nicely made! The body of the frog has a lot of flex but also seems to be very durable, awesome Owner hooks, and legs made of real rabbit fur. Going to give 'em a try tomorrow morning. Hopefully I'll have a nice report...
I've actually done the best on the popper model. Those work well too though. Nice thing about em is the fish is always hooked well. Good luck with them!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.