Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I told myself I wasn't going to ask but I've decided to expose my nievity rather than live my life in ignorance. Let me preface this by saying that in no point in my life have I needed to pay any attention to wind directions. The only wind that has been important to me is the prevailing ones at Wrigley Field. And those are typically described as "blowing out to left", "strait in from center" "left to right" etc... Now that I have been fishing for over a year and have been reading these reports I need to understand this. So the question is this:
When a report lists SW winds does that mean that the wind is blowing in a south west direction or the winds are blowing "from" the southwest which would actually make them blowing in a NE direction? Please help me out with this so I can start paying attention to wind conditions when I'm fishing. Thank you in advance for the help and also for hopefully sparing me the "rookie" slander.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
when the wind hits you in the face where is it coming "FROM"

The way it was expained to me as a kid was that the wind pushes the water current. The current in turn pushes the bait fish (down wind)the big fish go down wind to get the bait fish and you fish the down wind side to catch the big fish that are after the bait fish. I hope my uncle was right :lol: I have been doing it this way ever since

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
See... WCF is a place where people can feel comfortable asking ALL questions.

Indeed - wind direction is the direction is is blowing FROM.

Blowing out at Wrigley: SW winds.
Blowing in at Wrigley: NE winds (and cold and usually sucks)

And the old fishing saying:
Wind from the east, the fish bite the least
Wind from the west, the fish bite the best

This year at Wrigley... The wind is blowing straight down to hell and taking the team with it! :shock:

At Sox Park: the wind is blowing at whichever pitcher Ozzie is yelling at for not plunking a batter! (Garland most recently)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts