Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a few new rods. Only problem is that I don't have alot to spend on them. I'm looking at the Allstar ASR, or the new St. Croix Mojo Bass. I have an ASR already, and really like it. I also played with a Mojo at cabelas today. Pretty sweet. Any opinions would be great. Thanx.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
How about the Berkely Series 1, or their new Shock series (which are geared towards braids/superlines)?

Also, I know others will laugh or scoff at them- but take a look at Cabela's Tourney trail rods. I think the casting rods are on sale now for $30.

I liked the casting rods a lot, and picked up a couple of the spinning rods this fall for my son and I. IM7 graphite, and really feel as good (to me) as some more expensive rods do.

Just some of my thoughts for whatever they're worth anyway.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Check out the Shimano Clarus. They retail for about $70 but I found them online for $46. The Clarus won rod of the year at ICast 2008. I'm planning on pickin up a medium and possibly a medium light (both in casting rods).

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
SkunkedAgain said:
Check out the Shimano Clarus. They retail for about $70 but I found them online for $46. The Clarus won rod of the year at ICast 2008. I'm planning on pickin up a medium and possibly a medium light (both in casting rods).
Where did u see that price? I have one already and love it. U can pm me the address if u want

·
Registered
654 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The Clarus is a great rod for the money...I own one.

However I spent all last season product testing the Crucials both... spinning and baitcasting and they are in my opinion worht the few extra bucks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I second what Darth says about the Shimano Crucial. I have one, and its a great rod. It's a 7' 2" model that I believe is intended for drop-shotting, but I use it for finesse fishing. It's really sensitive, casts a mile even with light stuff. It has a cut out in the cork so your finger can make contact w/ the blank, which I find great for slow fishing plastics cuz you feel the tap-tap-tap.

-b.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I also agree on the crucials. for about 140 bucks. it is totally worth it and a lifetime warranty. Light actiong butt end on the rod as it is lamiglass with barely any cork. The only disadvantage is the smaller guides up towards the tip of the rod. the bottom half is smooth and nice. Just not the top. But the action is great on them. I own 3 of them, 1 in baitcasting and 2 in spinning. The medium/heavy 7'2" is my favorite!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Lip_Yanker said:
How about the Berkely Series 1, or their new Shock series (which are geared towards braids/superlines)?

Also, I know others will laugh or scoff at them- but take a look at Cabela's Tourney trail rods. I think the casting rods are on sale now for $30.

I liked the casting rods a lot, and picked up a couple of the spinning rods this fall for my son and I. IM7 graphite, and really feel as good (to me) as some more expensive rods do.

Just some of my thoughts for whatever they're worth anyway.

I hear those new Berkley lightning series rods are bad ass!! There geared toward braided line and at a reasonable price. Look into these rods bucketmouth

·
Registered
654 Posts
I was planning on the Clarus for 2 basic reasons:
1) I use the GLoomis' for all my finesse type stuff
2) These are going to be for spiinerbaits/crankbaits and I didn't think I needed super sensitive
3) 3 is a bonus. I can 6 for the price of 1 Loomis

·
Registered
32 Posts
i just picked up the shimano compre i took the 6'6 medium heavy. for $100 havent got a chance to use it because of the damn snow but iv heard nothing but good things about it so theres my vote

·
Registered
308 Posts
bucketmouth4 said:
I'm looking to get a few new rods. Only problem is that I don't have alot to spend on them. I'm looking at the Allstar ASR, or the new St. Croix Mojo Bass. I have an ASR already, and really like it. I also played with a Mojo at cabelas today. Pretty sweet. Any opinions would be great. Thanx.
What do you want to do with it? I've said it before time and time again. Get the Crankin Sticks at Bass Pro Shops. Everything from rattle traps, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, and small swimbaits. $50 retail. They go on sale in the spring for $25. When people use them, they're amazed that a $25 rod can perform so well.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Big Bass Lee said:
bucketmouth4 said:
What do you want to do with it? I've said it before time and time again. Get the Crankin Sticks at Bass Pro Shops. Everything from rattle traps, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, and small swimbaits. $50 retail. They go on sale in the spring for $25. When people use them, they're amazed that a $25 rod can perform so well.
I'll definitely check into these. If you see the sale before I do can you let me know?

·
Registered
400 Posts
My money will be on the Bass Pro clearance sale. Ebay is so popular that some people pay more then retail for some stuff.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm going to check out the crankin sticks and also the new lightning rods. I'll have to see what I think about them. As for ebay, I buy and sell all the time. I see people jack up the price of stuff twice the value. I have also found some sweet deals. I just sold an old ryobi v-mag3 for thirty bucks, I did not think it would have gone over ten. Sometimes you never know what people are looking for.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Hey Tom, if ya want to head up to Cabela's or BPS on a weekend, let me know. I'd like to take a look at those new Shock rods too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.