Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past week I was laid up sick, including a trip to the emergency room at my own request this past Wednesday. Thank God, I am back to 100%, and since I missed this past Saturday for fishing I decided to hit The Glen after work. I arrived home at 5:25 and immediately changed, packed my gear, and headed out. I arrived at the north bay at 6:15 and started fishing at 6:20 p.m. I started out throwing a Baby Brush Hog in Watermelon/Red Flake, with a 1/8 oz bullet weight, unpegged, rigged Texsposed on a 3/0 Gamakatsu EWG hook. I was throwing this on my 7.3:1 Fuego/Ceilo rod combo, with 15lb fluoro. I worked the laydown, and, as best as I could, the outside edge of the pads. I also threw it into the middle of the pads, dragging it over the pads and letting it drop into the holes and pockets. I did this until 6:45 with no hits. I noticed that small bait fish were starting to hit the surface in the and around the pads. I remembered that Jimmy T. of Fish Tech had told me that weightless stick worms, Texas rigged were the lure of choice the week before. With the sun getting low, I decided it was time to change tactics.

I rigged up a 5" Green Pumpkin Yum Dinger, with the same hook, weightless, Texsposed, on my 8.1:1 Fuego/St. Croix Mojo Bass rod with 50lb braid. I noticed that pads were moving, so I tossed my lure onto the pads, dragging it and hoping to get it to drop in between the pads or in the open water holes between them. Several times, as I reeled the lure on top I saw movement toward it. After 5-6 casts it was fish on. He put up a good fight. When I got him close to shore I knew that he was a nice fish. I asked to nice ladies walking on the path if they would take a picture and send it to me, and they were very happy to do so--in fact, they took 8 pictures. Then I weighed him, 2.03lbs, and measured him, 16". After that I let him go, and did he bolt.

I wrapped up at 7:30 p.m. I am really glad I didn't let the short amount of time available to fish deter me.

crankybass

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.