Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know - I love the outdoors. Fishing in just one part of it.

So this past weekend, with the nice weather I got outside and did some geocaching.

The adventure started Saturday morning when I decided I'd like to go to the Mars Cheese Castle in Wisconsin. Cheese, the outdoors, a short road-trip... i'm game!

I looked at the map online and found lots of geocaches around a lake i'd never heard of in Pleasant Prairie Wisconsin called Lake Andrea. Called Alex, he was game too, and we drove up. I thought it was going to be a State park but it was more of a park district park - similar to Lake Arlington or even Independence Grove. There was a huge event going on with groups of locals having a "polar bear plunge" into the icy waters of the lake. There was a radio station sponsoring the event and lots of people. Cool, but not conducive to geocaching, or so I thought. All the cashes were well off the beaten path in nice woodsy areas surrounding this lake. AND, my beloved Des Plaines River runs adjacent to this area.

After we found all 5 caches with no "muggles" to worry about, we headed out on the ice to talk to the ice fishermen. Turns out this lake is loaded with northern pike, walleye, bass, crappie, etc. One fishermen had caight a 26" northern just prior to our arrival and everyone else was also fishing for northern.

Though it was not a day spent fishing, it was a great day in the outdoors and a newly discovered place to fish. There will be some reports coming from this lake in the future for sure!

The outdoors is not limited to just fishing, but adventures like this one can lead to doing just that. When I haul a 30" northern pike out of this lake, it will be because this outdoors adventure.

Bottom line... make an opportunity in the non-fishing season to get out, breathe fresh air, and enjoy the outdoors. You never know what it will lead to.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Great job out there Jason! Geocaching is a winter sport. It can be done all year depending on your tolerance for mosquitoes.

I fished that lake many times, and it is a GREAT lake. I only went ice fishing there one time though. It was my very first time ice fishing several years ago, and I got skunked.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Very good point Jason. On Sunday the wife and I explored the stretch of the DPR that runs by our house. Had a great time and also was able to scope out some fishing spots for future visits.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Thanks for the report Jason. I like the area up there, and will most definately be stopping by and checking this lake out. :) It is cool when a random drive to check something out ends up finding you a cool new place.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Nice Report jay, sounds like a great lake and a good time well spent. :D

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Nice post Jason. One of the first things i did when i moved to Northern Illinois, was to explore Jjust over the border inWisconsin. There are so many lakes that have there own great qualities besides Geneva or DELAVAN. Some lakes i have hit in that area . Camp wich was never crowded and as many smallish pike that you want and a decent crappie when fished in May. Center lake wich is a minute from Camp and has a very good panfish, and by the way both lakes are free to launch if memory serves me corectly.Siver lake just down the road and has Muskies in it have lost 1 biggie in the few times ive fished it . Powers wich i fished for the first time last year and had non stop action for bass , but also a great lake for other species. Twin lakes wich has a great population of panfish ... have had some really great days for crappie and large gills and lots of bass although on the smaller side. Browns lake is about as far North as i go , but a fantastic lake if you like Pike although most only mid twenties and decent bass. Most of these lakes the launch fee is less than Geneva or Delavan , and when i have been to them i have had lake to myself and have never been skunked. Hve never been to Pleasant but looking forward to a post this year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.