Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I headed up to Milwaukee today, and naturally made time to walk the length of the pier. There were a handful of guys out there salmon fishing with the old open bail beer bottle rig... needless to say there were no fish taken in the hour I was out there. So when I got to the bend I looked onto the water on the inside of the harbor and saw this.... Like nothing I've ever seen in Milwaukee before.

I was amazed at the ISLAND worth of floating debris in the harbor...

In the harbor, gaps, and out in front of the walls I saw : whole trees, kegs, 55 gallon drums, spent propane tanks, bottles, aerosol cans, hundreds of Styrofoam and plastic bits, and thousands of other sticks and floating pieces of garbage.

I know the river just got blown out... but only to 3400 cfs... That's not bad, last year when we got all that flooding she shot up to something like 9000 cfs. It was horrible, anyone thinking about taking the boat out for fathers day up there should get a good spotter in the front of the boat to dodge logs and the like.

Thought you guys here might be interested in this, I can't imagine trying to clean up that mess, although I do feel like I wish I had the means to help because I don't want to see all that wash up on my favorite beach haunts from my days at UWM.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
huge storms.

that's why you see all that junk and debris.

i was offshore out of waukegan today. we were dodging debris for miles and miles. one boater reported over the radio a whole tree floating in 65 feet of water!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is inside the harbor, locked in by the rock arm that juts out from the pier, not just behind the wall. It would take a strong north east wind, followed by west winds to "clear it out" and "clearing it out" just means sending all that plastic and foam out into the lake. the garbage problem continues. I'm saying it's all contained, it would be great if they came in with something and skimmed it all out before it further screwed up Lake Michigan.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
mplant1 said:
huge storms.

that's why you see all that junk and debris.

i was offshore out of waukegan today. we were dodging debris for miles and miles. one boater reported over the radio a whole tree floating in 65 feet of water!
A whole tree. Crazy!!! Don't wanna accidentally snag into that.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I was on lake michigan in waukegan and there was a big garbage problem on saturday. In my opinion this is becuase the day before there were some strong winds as high as 60 miles an hr that drove through with the storms and washed out all that garbage into the lake. We were dodging garbage left and right as well as tree stumps and logs out on the lake but they need to get out and pick up after mother nature movement of the garbage.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Rather than worry about cleaning up after mother nature, I think we should worry about how theres trash everywhere on land that can be washed into the big lake when a strong storm comes along. :lol: I mean, its not like its natures fault it rained. The trees, logs, branches, and other natural stuff is going to make great structure, as well as a more fertile water. Its the styrofoam and shopping bags mixed in that are bs.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
twoglasseyes said:
Rather than worry about cleaning up after mother nature, I think we should worry about how theres trash everywhere on land that can be washed into the big lake when a strong storm comes along. :lol: I mean, its not like its natures fault it rained. The trees, logs, branches, and other natural stuff is going to make great structure, as well as a more fertile water. Its the styrofoam and shopping bags mixed in that are bs.
Exactly!! I don't care about the drift wood, that stuff is natural. The foam, plastic, and propane tanks are what gets me mad!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Echh. I hope I never see a site like that in Chicago, but then again my lifeguard buddy told me a story yesterday about how storms wash out the craziest stuff, even bodies-he had to pull one out himself at Montrose.

UWM. My brother goes there. All he does is work 96 hours straight, and then party all weekend.

·
Registered
428 Posts
damn cheeseheads dont care to clean their butts more or less where we want to fish

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.