Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the water level are a few inches higher than what we've seen all of the summer making river a bit easier to navigate, I decided to explore the stretch I've never been to - up from Gowe Park. I hoped to perhaps reach what seems like a permanent blockage at the level of the truck stop on google maps. That did not happen. My travel was uneventful and clearly assisted by higher water until I started approaching rt. 41. Had to squeeze between the bank and a fallen tree, then paddled over a trunk that blocks the river completely, got through the bridge and almost immediately hit another fallen tree - there I finally had to get out and drag the yak through the shallow spot. That was for naught as just a few minutes later I encountered a large pile of rocks and a beaver dam immediately behind it. I did not have much interest in figuring out if I can get around it and turned back and fished a bit. With water murky and a ton of submerged wood I used the only thing that made sense to me, a black plopper. Had a few hits and misses, some violent, landed one 15-16" bass. So, didn't get where I wanted, but learned things and did not get skunked.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Spend some time under and around the Rt 41 bridge. I have caught some good fish in that area.
Just north of 120 too.
If my memory is correct you can park on the north side of 120 by some power lines and walk down to the river. I have waded that spot.

~JOE~

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If my memory is correct you can park on the north side of 120 by some power lines and walk down to the river. I have waded that spot.
There are quite a few accessible spots in that general area, particularly around bridges. You can always tell by all the floaters in the trees :)

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Nice write-up!

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
North of 41 is always full of blockages. Wish the shoreline was all praire grass there instead of the stunted timber that just topples over as they mature on the floodplain.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
North of 41 is always full of blockages. Wish the shoreline was all praire grass there instead of the stunted timber that just topples over as they mature on the floodplain.
I was totally expecting blockages, but I was surprised by the dam - I thought that these things are a flooding hazard and general nuisance and the state/county keeps beavers under control.

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
Thats the neal marsh riffle. I've posted about its purpose in the past. It was installed in the 1980s by the University of Illinois and wetland researchers. The area between the dam and about to Wadsworth road is so flat that water spreads across rather than rises there. For a long time the area was completely submerged by an ancient beaver pool and lake. The beaver dam was so massive it was found by construction workers digging a quarry adjacent to the river and studied. Beavers were a little bigger thousands of years ago.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats the neal marsh riffle.
I've found that old thread, and it was very useful, but I actually did not make it that far upstream, only to the place that looks like this:
Water Plant Plant community Fluvial landforms of streams Natural landscape

Also, would it be ok to PM you with a couple of questions?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts