Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you guys hunt for big pike, you guys run a leader, or no leader?

I fished canada 4 or 5 times before and never used leaders, unless I was using a pike plastic or jig, and never really had a problem.

But what is your guys opinion?

What is your favorite Line test and braid or mono, and do you use a leader for those big toothy critters?

I have used mono and braid both but can't really make up what line I want to spool my primary baitcasters with for the trip. Everyone has been debating the leader issue over the last few years on our trip. 20 years ago no one ever used leaders in the past generations of our group, but now id say half the guys use leaders. Im not sure if I will start using em or not.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I usually rig up three different poles when fishing there. One spinning rod and reel for jigging for walleyes. No leader on this one. I have caught a number of pike this way but they are usually hooked in the corner of their mouth and occasionally you will get bit off. My second rod is a baitcaster that I use for northerns spooled with 30lb braid with a leader. Usually one about 6 inches long. I use that one for casting spoons and spinners. My last rod I use for smallies for casting smaller lures and that one I don't use a leader on either.

My advice is if you are going for them, use one. The fish in Canada are not spooked like here and will take anything.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
toothdoc said:
My advice is if you are going for them, use one. The fish in Canada are not spooked like here and will take anything.
Perfect, advice Doc!

If I'm looking pike I always use a leader. One night it was getting dark so I decided to throw on a J-13 without leader, moments later I hooked into what possibly could have been my personaly best northern. *snap* After a 10 second fight the pike rolled, the line snapped and I swore a bunch.

Use the Doc's advice and have a few different setups in the boat at once.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea, thats the big risk. The bigger the pike the better chance you might wish you got a leader.

and speaking of agressive pike, they try to steal the walleye off your line, we had one northern that would wait by the dock for the walleye that we were reeling in after dinner, and latch on to and we netted him up, they simply wont let go of the walleye, you can fight em all the way in, they arent even hooked. its hilarious. I even rigged up a small walleye under a waterbottle(bobber) and cought two mid thirtys pike of the lodge dock, it was funny to watch a pike drag a water bottle like jaws.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I always use a leader when fishing Canadian pike. They don't seem to mind it at all.
As has been stated by others, these pike are ultra-aggressive. Not only do they try to steal walleye off your line as BassMaster mentioned, but they like their own kind as well.

Here's a pic my son took of a 10 lb.+ pike grabbing another pike as I was reeling him in last summer in Canada.
eq2ste.jpg

This has happened to us several times, but this is the first time we got a pic of it.

Pike are so COOL!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha thats what im talkin about. ill bet ya were able to land him, they are so crazy they just wont let go of their meal until they are in the net. Pike are aggressive everywhere, but they are particularly insane in canada, cuz most of em have never seen a lure, or ever been caught before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.