Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at BPS last weekend looking for a set up for crankbaits. I have a st croix mojo bass rod. Im debating over which reel to get. The Revo S or Revo SX. How does the Revo S compare to the Revo SX. I didint notice any difference when i was messin around with it at BPS. The Revo S is $130 and the SX is $170. Im willing to pay 170, but if the Revo S is just as good as the SX then ill get the SX. How do they compare. I will have 12 or 14lb PLine on the reel.

For braid line
I got a setup 7'0 Bionic Blade MH rod with a Shimano Citica. I will be using probally 40lb braid. Mostly using for Pike and Froggin bass and flippin slop. My question is what brand of braid do you suggest. I want a brand that dosent dig into itself ( as much). How do you prevent braid line from digging into itself. What brand do you reconmend. I was thinkin Power Pro.

Thanks for all your help this winter guys
Dom

·
Registered
107 Posts
if ur using crankbaits on the revo i would use 30# fireline. I have found that it has the smoothest casting and the diameter is thick enough to help stop the backlash while still being thin enough to cut through weeds very well. there is no stretch so if the rod has a little play in it the setup is perrfect... at least in my opinion. but really the only way to help stop the digging in is just a
bigger diameter line. the bigger the diameter the less it will dig in and the fewer birdsnests.
i only have the STX so idk what the difference between the S and SX would be but i would say that the S would be just fine, it might wear down a little sooner but they should have about the same feel. so i would say get the S if you arent going to get the STX because for the $40 difference it wont be too big of a difference...

hope i helped :)

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I would pony up the extra $30 for the SX. I believe that the SX is $160, but it comes with a magnetic brake instead of a centrifrugal brake that the S has. Personally, I prefer the magnetic brake. Also the SX has a better drag system that I believe is rated at 24 lbs.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
A couple more bearings, magnetic braking system in the SX/STX, plus you can get a HS version of those.

The Revo® S series reels feature nine HPCR® (High Precision Corrosion Resistant) bearings for extra smoothness during casting or retrieving, a one-piece X-Craftic® aluminum alloy frame and crank side cover for unsurpassed corrosion resistance, our world famous Carbon Matrix™ drag system which generates up to 24 lbs. of drag, precision machined Duragear™ brass gears an oversized main gear for extra fish fighting torque, and six-pin centrifugal brakes for extra control over your spool.

The low profile frame and side plate of the SX and STX is made of X-Cräftic™ aluminum alloy. This material is more durable and lighter than regular aluminum and corrosion resistant. Eleven High Performance Corrosion Resistant (HPCR®) bearings provide the smooth casting with added distance. All SX reels weigh just 8.7 ounces, the STX models weigh 8.75 ounces. Both the SX and STX reels hold 140 yards of 12-pound test monofilament fishing line. More than any others in their class. The SX and STX series are available in two speeds, a 6.4:1 version, or a 7.1:1model and are now available in both right and left-hand models. The high speed 7.1:1 SX and STX reels will sure help anglers with their pitching and flipping presentations as well as burning baits over grass. The Swedish engineered Revo also features Linear Magnetic™ brakes which generates up to 24 lbs. of drag, Duragear™ brass gears and synchronized level wind. The STX models include an Infini II™ Spool design for the smoothest of operations, titanium nitride wormshaft and Everslik™ coated pinion shaft and pawl.

Don't forget to check the AG website for a rebate form, they have $20.00 cash back or Free Wiley-X sunglasses- depending on what model/price you purchase.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I would buy the SX for sure. If you want to save a buck or two, the Schaumburg outdoors show is coming up. At theshow you can get the SX for about $135-$140. Also, on ebay right now they are going for $137.95 w/free shipping.
I've never used the Revo S but I have 5 SXs and I love 'em.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Yeah I got my revo stx-hs from ebay I think for 120? Not sure but it was way under BPS and Crabelas. BTW I love the revo, I make excuses to use it, lemme know how the mojo rods are they look cool.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Coming late to this but if you haven't bought the reel yet get the SX. Last year I had STXs, Premiers, S and a bunch of SXs. The STX was my favorite, until I got my hands on some good SXs. The S didn't feel very sturdy.

I wouldn't pay over 130 for a new SX and you can do that if you search on ebay.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I agree with PK about the SX. When BPS had there reel trade in, I ended up getting one for $80 with tax with the trade-in, rebate and my points.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well thanks for the help now. I bought the SX a few weeks ago. And im happy i did. I love the reel. I spooled it with PLINE Fluoroclear 12lb. On a St. Croix Mojo Crank Bait Rod.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.