Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody fished it recently? It looks like the Northbrook Park District did a good job rebuilding this little pond. They cleaned it up and put in fishing stations. I stopped by there today to check it out and noticed signs that said to C&R and bass. I take that to mean that there is more than just panfish in there. I think that I may try it out after work on Friday.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Where is this location Doc?

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
ok I found it...... it's a 500 ft pond ?

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's small and was always a bit of a dump. I always noticed that there would be some fish in it when I used to golf there. They dug out the pond this spring and enlarged it. I'm assuming that they also stocked it with more fish. I'm just wondering if anyone here has fished it recently?

·
Registered
383 Posts
toothdoc,
Anetsberger pond is my "home-pond" that I used to ride my bike to as a kid and this is where I learned how to "bass fish" from shore. I used to go there everyday every summer and even did a science fair project on fish feeding habits as I recorded the fish I caught.

I never posted up about it on WCF because I went there at the beg. of the summer and there was a sign saying no tresspassing or you will have charges pressed against you (but I'm assuming the construction is done?) Well, before the park district stripped it, there were lots of trees around the lake and a natural shore line (but now I think there are rocks?)

In terms of fish -- my friend used to work for the NB Park District and he said that they took out all of the fish then I'm guessing that they put them back recently after construction.

The fishing used to be really good here at this pond, I used to be able to pull out 10-15 bass a day in the 12-15" range, and you may not believe this but one of my close friends pulled out two bass in the 5-6 pound range out of Anetsberger pond -- I believe they were in the 22" range caught in the spring (I actually saw the pictures, and I my friend is really trustworhy -- he's the vice president of the Iowa University bass fishing team today). Rumor has it that Anetsberger used to be a rock quarry so it gets really deep. Also, from what I remember the carp population was getting very out of control in the pond and my same friend who pulled the 2 5-6lbers hosted a "Carp-Out" fishing derby for the park district, but nobody caught any.

Tell me how ya do if you try fishing there. I was kind of heart-broke when I saw how they stripped out all the trees and everything... 4" Powerworms used to be the killer bait at this lake w/ a small split shot, either that or the small slugos or bass assassins fished weightless. Also, in the spring, floating rapalas used to work real well too. Good luck toothdoc.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tim, thanks for the reply. I had a feeling that you might know something about Anetsberger. Yes, it used to be a pit. The Anetsberger plant used to make bricks and that is where they got the clay from, so it was sort of deep.

I think that they just opened it a couple of weeks ago and now you can only fish the southern portion of it. The northern portion has signs posted that say "No fishing beyond this point."

I will give it a try and let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Southern half only eh? Well, I'm not sure if its still there, right on the southernmost part of the pond there was this water pipe stickin' out where bass would always hang out, I doubt that it's still there though.....

Is Anetsberger still a golf course? I actually got hit multiple times by golfballs as a kid b/c we'd sneak around the entire lake and get chased off by this old guy on a golf cart. I'm gona hafta try fishing there once I come home... just for old-time sake.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I used to golf there weekly had to dodge goose poop on the greens. Never fished it always wanted to tho, weird, I havent heard about that place in at least 6yrs.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It still is a golf course. The Northbrook Park District took it over a few years back and even put in a driving range. The driving range is out and they put in a nice parking lot and a skate park, along with more soccer fields. There is a new building as you enter the golf course with bathrooms and a guy that takes the money for golfing. It looks like they cleaned it up a lot.

As far as the pipe goes, I don't think that it is still there. The pond looks nothing like it used to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts