Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to try and let everyone know that theres a good fishing store in palatine called Anglers International Resources. It use to be Ed Shirleys, but now its totally changed and is real nice. The workers in there are real cool. I was just in there to get new line put on my reels and ask a few questions. Those guys really know there stuff. Awesome store they got over there.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Maybe things have changed a bit in the last year or so, but the last time I went into Anglers International the employees couldn't have cared less that I was there. Nobody ever asked if I needed help and when I asked for help I got as little help as they could give me. Unfortunately for them that attitude on my first trip there ensured it would be my last trip there.

·
Registered
513 Posts
WrenchingnFishing said:
Clancy, That's why we all go to Lee's! :mrgreen: :lol:
I love Lee's. They are one of my dad's Bass Club sponsors.

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Sometimes WallyWorld has crazy clearance scales. I have picked up Rapala Husky Jerks for $1.99 and one time a $50 boja grip for $5. Just have to be lucky and hit the right stores at the right time during the winter.

BTW-Walmart used to carry Shimano reels. Not sure if they still do.

·
Registered
826 Posts
svslider said:
Wal mart doesnt have much, they dont have sales, and they arent cheap on lures like they are on toilet paper.
If you traveled south a little and get away from the city, Walmart has a pretty decent outdoor selection. There have been quite a few tournaments where I hit a Walmart on a Saturday night since I needed a lure or two for the next day.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Paul S said:
svslider said:
Wal mart doesnt have much, they dont have sales, and they arent cheap on lures like they are on toilet paper.
If you traveled south a little and get away from the city, Walmart has a pretty decent outdoor selection. There have been quite a few tournaments where I hit a Walmart on a Saturday night since I needed a lure or two for the next day.
Your right, I bought a set of tires from their before in Kentucky and also got me some ScentLock for hunting! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
770 Posts
The Walmart in Palatine had a MESS of fishing stuff a few months back. Everything was priced wrong and If you looked around you could find some amazing deals. $3 rapalas $2 yum plastics etc. They recently reorganized it and I think they priced it all again. Bummer bc that place was a goldmine.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Thats the one I go to, I think they have less than half what they had a couple years ago. Thats why you sometimes run into a clearance sale. I do use those walmart polarized glasses, I may upgrade or get a pair in another shade because people saw alot of fish I didnt this year.

·
Registered
564 Posts
WORST BAIT COUNT EVER :twisted:

I miss shirleys!!!, they used to hook it up decent, and had good deals on tackle. International anglers resources is over priced on their bait and tackle, and they have literally given us 11 shiners when we order a dozen!(not to mention a dozen cost twice as much as anywhere else) Their bait is three or four times the price of lee's and they give you half as much. Go to lee's with 2 bucks in your pocket and he gives you 40+ extra large fatheads! That would cost you 15 bux at Anglers resources.

The only thing anglers has in my book is an excellent doctor spoon selection. Other than that, all their tackle is typically 30% or more over price compared to competitors. They sell the exact same lower end terminator spinnerbaits you can get anywhere for 2-3 bux for over 6 bux. I give em a thumbs down :x . They honestly don't know how to run a tackle shop that makes customers want to come back often. No bargans, and little good info to be had there.

Im done with my rant, I just hate overpriced tackle shops with sub par bait.

LEE'S ALLL THE WAY! :D he rocks

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Not to get on their case but... Last year I got some great lures out of their discount bin. I wnet this year and asked about a discount bin and they told me they took all that to a fishing show.
Then the next week I asked and one of the owners (I think) told me they hadnt been open long enough to have a discount bin. :?: But they were having an event, so I bought 3 expensive lures (koppers) for 30% off and they offered me a hot dog and pop/ The pop was all generic diet pop :x LOL

I still havent found a pefect bait shop but Lees is good, they get so many customers by giving extra baitfish that they make other shops look dumb when they carefully count them...

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Slightly disagree svs.

While I'm sure the live bait count helps for those that actually buy it...I honestly believe it's John's exceptional customer service that inspires such a loyal following.

He truly goes out of his way for his customers...at least in my experience.

Not to mention the fact that I've yet to see anyone beat his prices on high end tackle.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I know Johny at lee's was going to buy out ed-shirleys when they went down. But his new Carol Stream location is a better one anyways.

Lee's is the way to go. I won't even go to dicks much anymore, but still go to cabelas and bass pro.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.