Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the opportunity to hit the water earlier this evening, because I had to meet a fellow veteran at the Evanston Vet Center on Howard Street. I packed my gear in my car, and after my meeting with him, I headed over to Fish Tech in Morton Grove to get one of my Fuego reels re-spooled--I've used a lot of line this year. Jimmy T. was there, and I told him about my big bass and 22" walleye that I caught at The Glen two weeks ago this coming Friday. I asked him how his guiding has been, and he told me th at he was out today and one of his clients landed 25 bass in the Chain, most 14", with a couple of toads lost before he got them on the boat. I asked him what they werre throwing. Soft plastic worms, Texas or Wacky rigged. With that information, I headed over to The Glen. I arrived at 6 p.m.

I tied on a 2/0 Gamakatsu Finesse W.G. Weedless hook, and I rigged a 5" Yum Dinger, PBJ. I started out in the south pool, worked my way over toward the rock pile just before the first bridge at the end of the flat rocks, then I headed over to the long pier. I was there for an hour or so, fishing and talking with a nice young couple. They were fishing, and the young man recently moved from North Carolina. He had done a lot of fishing with plastic worms back home, but he was using square bill crankbait, while his girlfried was using live bait. She was catching dinky bluegill. I gave them some tips about Lake Glenview, and I gave him one of my Avocado Baby Brush Hogs, then I moved on north of the short pier and around the bank to the first stick-up. So far, nothing. Then I moved to the north pool, and at 7:35 fish on. I was using a 5" Green Pumpkin Yum Dinger, and this guy had hit the worm a minute before, but I failed to set the hook, thinking thinking I had a snag on the lay-down, and then realizing I had missed. So, I threw my worm back out, same place, and that was the trick. He hit the worm and I set the hook. After I landed him, I measured him at 17.5", and weighed him at 3.25 oz. He had a big mouth and a lot of girth, unlike the 17.5" fish I landed of the pier a week ago last Friday. After I released him, I fished that area for a bit longer, then along the big downed tree, then I headed back to the south pool where I landed a 13" largemouth on the same rig. The funny thing about that fish is I had cast the worm parallel to the rock wall, near a small tree that sits out over the water by the new white pipe. Once I got the line free, after shaking it and flicking his sideways, I felt some weight. Thinking it was snagged, I started to reel and the fish began to tug and run. I am pretty sure it was a female--she had a fat little bulge in her belly, and the opening for the eggs was red. After this it was time to pack up and head home.

I am starting to think that maybe Lake Glenview is the happening place for me this year, as it was in the late summer and fall of 2013, and the summer of 2014.

crankybass

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Sounds like a good outing! That 17.5er sounds like a real tankosaurus. Really cool you helped that guy out. I hope he got on some!

I've got some of those hooks as well for this year, but I've not caught enough fish on them to rule out chance happenings. Do you seem to have any issues getting them hooked in, and/or do you set them differently that a regular hook? I've lost both my hookups with them so far but it could just be bad luck/not really related...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Minstrel,

I've been using these hooks since 2013. I haven't had any trouble with them, as far as sticking and holding the fish. I do let them take the bait a bit longer than I would on a standard EWG Texas rigged. I use the o-rings, one, and hardly put the hook through the worm, just underneath the o-ring. I've never used the EWG for wacky rigging because I think it's jut too big and may spook the fish. All of the nice bass I landed at Lake Glenview in 2014 were caught with this hook wacky rigged.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I am used to covering the bottom with snagged senkos daily, and sometimes it's plain out of control! :shock: I've actually cast just a single senko on occasion there with these. Thanks for theinfo and sorry for hijaking your thread talkin Opeka :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.