Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

Brother and I loaded up boat and headed to the lake Saturday morning. In town, a slight 5mph breeze. Sunshine as far as eyes could see. Headed there with my advise I received here. Wind blown shores, fish parallel. Its was something to try. And truly appreciate it also.

Nothing. Skunked again. A forecasted 5mph breeze in town is a 35mph sustained out there. Thought we would use electric trolling motor and troll parallel to shore. Not with that wind. Nice big new Motorguide, but not in that wind. Tried throwing anchors. Helped but couldn't cover any ground.

I had seen an old episode of Mid West Outdoors TV show where they were at LaSalle. Had to be like 15 years ago. From what I remember, they used big 1 ounce leadheads jigs with large minnow, used boats gas motor at idle speed, 20 or 30 yards from shore, let out line behind boat until you just start to feel scraping bottom. Reel in couple times. Then just cruised parallel.
What I didn't remember is they most likely used a much smaller gas motor that could sustain a super slow speed. Idle speed on a 65hp is WAY too fast for fishing like that. Or would have to use a 12 ounce jig or something. On show, they were killing them. We were a total wash out. Was out there around 8 and left around noon. 0 fish.

However, my depressing post does have a better half. Pulled boat from LaSalle and launched in Illinois River at Allen Park. For those not familiar with Ottawa, Allen Park is were Fox river ends into Illinois river. Had better luck there. We decided to grab a 6 pack, park boat under bridge at Fox river mouth, and get back to basics. Good'ol worm. Well, one pole worm on bottom, other throwing spinners and such for White bass. We frickin hammered them. Spinners were taking small white bass, nothing of any real size, but the worms kept us busy. A lot of nice cats. Few smaller ones(7 or 8 about 14 -15 inch), couple baby sheephead, but caught a couple that brother and I thought were picture worthy. Will post them.

So, all in all, had a great day fishing. I guess thats whats its all about, right? There is just something about bass. For me, so hard to catch. Big ones anyway. Just thought I'd share a good spot to have fun fishing. Launched around 1pm, pulled out about 6pm. Killed them.

·
Administrator
5,370 Posts
Way to make the day good! Lasalle, Heidecke, Braidwood can be great places to fish - but they can also disappoint severely sometimes. Glad you wound up getting fish elsewhere.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.